Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
He's putting my faith in pacifism to a test is what he's doing

Cilogy wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:I am so glad you like JJ Abrams babysitting other people's original creations without any indication that he will make anything original himself in the upcoming future besides his own past claim to originality, Felicity, and frankly divorcing creativity and content of Star wars from its creator George Lucas in order to make a faceless content factory seemed always regressive to me. No matter how bad George Lucas directed these films after the first one (because he in fact didn't direct the second one himself) at least his ideas were original, Abrams seems just content to have a committee hand him over someone else's work and direct another entry. The 'auteur' of the 21st century, indeed...

Also, given that Disney has a history of marketing the shit out of everything it owns, my guess is I'll have the last word on this one, despite people either complaining about legitimate points I raise (it is limitless, hence the opportunity for a big corporation like Disney to make money off of it instead of focusing on the quality of the films themselves) or trying to pretend as if they didn't exist at all.

I won't pretend like Lucas hasn't tried to sell each and every single toy he was able to come up with but at least he himself came up with the universe. Disney merely bought it and merely hired Abrams to direct its first entry.
hey jerk

being a cynical asshole is my job

This is how I want this scene in NolanFans: The Movie.

Batfan175 starts rambling just after joining an animated discussion about new Star Wars film. Unlike most folks there, he is filled with anger.

"I am so glad you like JJ Abrams babysitting other people's original creations"

'Here we go again', 'Oh fuck, who let him in' or 'what' are the only reactions on everyone's faces.

"without any indication that he will make anything original himself in the upcoming future besides his own past claim to originality, Felicity, and frankly divorcing creativity and content of Star wars from its creator George Lucas in order to make a faceless content factory seemed always regressive to me."

Batfan175 continued without any sign of stopping. This was a becoming a routine lately. He would start ranting after announcement of superhero movies.

"No matter how bad George Lucas directed these films after the first one (because he in fact didn't direct the second one himself) at least his ideas were original, Abrams seems just content to have a committee hand him over someone else's work and direct another entry. The 'auteur' of the 21st century, indeed..."

Everyone else clearly hates this guy, but no one does anything. No one wants to stop him. Watching people fuming with anger is a favourite pastime of NolanFans.

"Also, given that Disney has a history of marketing the shit out of everything it owns, my guess is I'll have the last word on this one, despite people either complaining about legitimate points I raise (it is limitless, hence the opportunity for a big corporation like Disney to make money off of it instead of focusing on the quality of the films themselves) or trying to pretend as if they didn't exist at all."

Cilogy is looking at Batfan175 with a strange mix of curiosity and amusement from his corner. Then he gets up, muttering 'I gotta do something about this', and starts walking towards the babbler standing in the centre.

"I won't pretend like Lucas hasn't tried to sell each and every single toy he was able to come up with but at least he himself came up with the universe. Disney merely bought it and merely hired Abrams to direct its first entry."

Cilogy stands right behind Batfan175 whose back is turned towards him.

"Hey jerk", Cilogy shouts.

Batfan175 turns around and falls down on ground. Cilogy has punched him squarely in the face.

"being a cynical asshole is my job."

Batfan175 wrote:It's another universe without boundaries, allowing for endless expansion and unlimited possibilities of marketig an ever increasing number of toys to people too young to shave. That is all.
That's certainly one way to look at it on the surface, but as someone who has been a fan of the franchise since childhood, I've been astonished as to how much there is to appreciate narratively and thematically as I've grown older. There's a wealth of genuine THOUGHT that has gone into these films, not merely an excuse for merchandising.

For those who cynically look at Lucas nabbing the merchandising rights in 1977 as simply being greedy, I'd also like to point out that he wanted to use that money to fund not only the remaining films, but also to upstart and grow so many companies whose contributions to modern cinema are endless: ILM, Skywalker Sound, PIXAR, etc. Now that Lucas is retiring, he's putting in $300 million of his own money to build a museum in Chicago.

A big part of me wishes Lucas went on to direct other various movies in between Star Wars.

-Vader

Cilogy wrote: hey jerk

being a cynical asshole is my job
Sorry, didn't mean to take your job. It doesn't pay well anyway.

Pratham wrote: This is how I want this scene in NolanFans: The Movie.
That'd be halfway funny if I hadn't written like half of your script already with my comments and wouldn't be able to sue you for using my creative content to make this movie...the reason noone does anything might also have to do with the fact that in your guts you know I'm right on at least some levels. You just dislike dissent.

prince0gotham wrote:He's putting my faith in pacifism to a test is what he's doing
Oh wow I don't share your opinion. That must be so hurtful, especially on the Internet. Big deal. You guys are the ones getting upset by someone expressing his views. I'm a pacifist myself by the way, which is why I use words to make myself heard, not fists. i'm just the guy who has never been convinced by the quality of Star Wars as a series of films and i'm the guy the new film needs to convince that he's wrong and so far you guys are making a lousy case for it by merely whining about me not adoring your toys.

What is your particular interest in spending your valuable (?) time on a forum where you spend 99.9% of your time complaining about things and saying how much you dislike things.

Please don't post another Odissey by Homer cause I won't read through whole fucking thing.

m4st4 wrote:My history teacher once said that people without imagination are the saddest creatures that walk the earth.
So we should all feel sad for JJ Abrams? The man was content to pander to Star Trek fans in the remakes and superficially reimagined one of the most beloved Star Trek movies and pretended it wasn't the case until people saw the actual film.....sounds like a lack of imagination to me. I respect an original filmmaker who messes up once in a while trying out something different a lot more than someone who plays it safe by picking established properties and stuffing his entries full of references to older and better films just to be safe.

prince0gotham wrote:He's putting my faith in pacifism to a test is what he's doing