Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's funny that to Ridley it was clear who Rey's parents were after TFA. I think she's said that twice.

As for that scene with Maz, why would that be prove he isn't her father? Yes you could say it's literally being said by Maz that he isn't, but why would she know.

I'm only saying we'll find out for 100% sure next year because they have indeed not spelled it out yet. I'm convinced that Luke is her father.

That would be too easy and lame.

Nomis wrote:It's funny that to Ridley it was clear who Rey's parents were after TFA. I think she's said that twice.

As for that scene with Maz, why would that be prove he isn't her father? Yes you could say it's literally being said by Maz that he isn't, but why would she know.

I'm only saying we'll find out for 100% sure next year because they have indeed not spelled it out yet. I'm convinced that Luke is her father.
Because Maz is in tune with the force and her function in the movie is to use the force to clarify our main character's journies. Not that this is the only piece of textual evidence that makes Luke being her dad rather absurd, it's just the most blatant... other than Rey, you know, not thinking Luke was a real person at the beginning of the movie.

How come KK said the saga movies follow "the Skywalker family"?

Allstar wrote:How come KK said the saga movies follow "the Skywalker family"?

Crazy Eight wrote:
Eh, he's not the protagonist so we're not "following" his journey. People also associate him as a Solo not Skywalker.

Allstar wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:
Eh, he's not the protagonist so we're not "following" his journey. People also associate him as a Solo not Skywalker.
Well, that's very sexist.£

Master Virgo wrote:Well, that's very sexist.£
Well, no. It's a biproduct of Han being one of the lead characters of the film, and him being the one who confronts Ren during the film's climax. For the most part, Leia is sidelined, so naturally the viewer will imagine Ren as more Han's son than Leia's.

And yet it's very clear that he's far too much like his grandfather than his dad, also I don't see how the way the audience perceive him, has anything to do with the point of this argument which is the continuation of Skywalker storyline. We have already three characters with Vader's blood in front and center. I'd say that's enough for ST to be still very much the story of Skywalker family. Not that I oppose the idea of Rey being a descendant of Vader, just that I don't deem it to be necessary.£

I feel like people's actions are more important than their parentage because those end up defining who they are and so the question of who is whose father/mother is inherently less interesting to me.