Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Yeah. it's funny, but I don't know what the new information is exactly? It sounds like Obi-Wan was something very early on. I am fairly confident Rey was "No one" for most of TFAs production, certainly by post-production.

The crux is that Star Wars is fundamentally a family melodrama in space, and I think these issues generate from JJ signing onto VII in the first place based on the idea / pitch there’s a scavenger on an unknown planet who doesn’t know who Luke Skywalker really is, and I’m not at all surprised to hear at some point during TFA and at some point after he tried finding a balance between the “family melodrama in space” theme and her originating from nowhere theme.

For me, the issue isn't that Rey Kenobi or Rey Skywalker or Rey Palpatine couldn't have been compelling stories---Rey wrestling with a legacy from the OT could've been powerful material---it's that Rise of Skywalker destroyed a perfectly cohesive two movie arc from TFA to TLJ, not to mention that Rey Nobody is simply the more compelling of all the above. It's a shame. To think how much could've been fixed by RJ doing a treatment for IX they used.

-Vader

Next time sell the Star Wars property to somebody who cares...oh right this is Disney so they will NEVER give Star Wars to someone else unless there is no more money to be made from it and even then they could just hide it in the Disney vault forever so that noone else can use it. That's pretty much what they've already done with the FOX collection they acquired anyway.

What is worse, Rey Palpatine or Rey Skywalker?

Well she’s not literally a Skywalker so the other one is worse.

Oku
Evil is sexy

Evil good-doer sounds like some kinky, off-limits taboo thing and makes it doubly sexy

Conclusion: Rey Palpatine is sexy

Is everyone else just kind of over Star Wars like me? I'd be okay with no new content ever being made again, lol. I was a huge fan starting in 1997 when the Special Editions came back to theaters, and now I'm just done. Getting bought by Disney was the worst possible scenario.

Angus wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 11:13 am
Is everyone else just kind of over Star Wars like me? I'd be okay with no new content ever being made again, lol. I was a huge fan starting in 1997 when the Special Editions came back to theaters, and now I'm just done. Getting bought by Disney was the worst possible scenario.
Here here.

After TROS, I'm gonna need some serious convincing to come back to saga again. Not the old entries, obviously still like those, but whatever comes next.

The sentiment is so close to what I felt about DC after Josstice League and Suicide Squad. Redemption arc for that looks like their slate for 2021, so Disney can always do the right thing and just let their creators speak freely. Creators, not toxic greater-than-life/art community.

I love Star Wars and always will. I'm curious for what comes next, and I'm looking forward to Mando Season 2.

That said, I am burned out about fandom and big franchises in general. GOTS8 and TROS in the same year will do that to you.

-Vader

I strangely didn't have a problem with GoTS8. But I think I'm alone on that, haha. It wasn't something that I had an emotional connection to since childhood, but more of a casual thing I binged over a short period of time and instantly fell in love with, so the years of devotion and passion weren't there. I was on a quick rollercoaster and it came to a screeching halt and I was like, "Welp, that was great." But I can see why people were so upset, absolutely.

DC, in my opinion, has been mostly good, but I'm super over the concept of shared universes. The more those movies steer away from being connected the better they seem to be. Shazam is fantastic for what it is. They should focus on making fully realized, single films with an identity instead of being this "giant TV show" like Marvel.

Really enjoyed GOT season 8. Didn't bother with The last Star Wars film tbh. The Last Jedi was decent enough but just kinda ok and that alone was not enough to keep me invested. I could take a break from Star Wars for a couple of decades tbh.