Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan175 wrote:

Well, most people acknowledge that the 70s were the best period of cinema's history because the studio system was not as strong and directors could make a lot of original films or at least make films that were adapting pre-existing sources with a lot of discretion and creative freedom. Incidentally, I don't believe that people don't care about these films or their directors because when asked, most people fondly remember films like The Godfather 2, the Exorcist, etc. and are grateful for their existence. But they are memorable; i don't think that in 5 years anyone will even remember what happened in Thor 2, ionman 2, 3, the incredible Hulk, or captain America 1.
I also think you misunderstood my complaint: I'm not asking for blockbusters to go away and be replaced by artsy cinema. I'm asking blockbusters to be at least halfway as original as they were at one point (Robocop wasn't based on anything pre-existing, nor was Dawn of the Dead as far as I know). I want studios to stop relying on franchises and if they don't, at least make the best film possible with the material you have, don't paint a turd golden and call it a day because you think the public will eat it anyway and that's what's been driving me cazy about these films: they have all this talent, all this money, all these effects and costumes at their disposal and all they can come up with are these average quality films that don't hold up to repeat viewing and mostly are about nothing other than expanding the Marvel universe? The fact that they're phoning it in is probably the worst thing about these films.
I could not have said it better myself :clap:

I'll watch it obviously but I can't help but feel some amusement in the fact that a franchise that has no end in sight has a multi part sequel titled the "Infinity War".

Addicted2Movies wrote:I'll watch it obviously but I can't help but feel some amusement in the fact that a franchise that has no end in sight has a multi part sequel titled the "Infinity War".
This is the end, however, of the MCU as it started. RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth... They're not coming back after this. The storylines they've been preparing and developing will be over as well. Think something like Doctor Who, the series may not truly end but its eras, characters and arcs do, kinda like a soft reboot.

didich wrote:
Addicted2Movies wrote:I'll watch it obviously but I can't help but feel some amusement in the fact that a franchise that has no end in sight has a multi part sequel titled the "Infinity War".
This is the end, however, of the MCU as it started. RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth... They're not coming back after this. The storylines they've been preparing and developing will be over as well. Think something like Doctor Who, the series may not truly end but its eras, characters and arcs do, kinda like a soft reboot.
Great point.

It'll be interesting to see how the Russos handle this, especially since it'll likely be a crazy huge ensemble, way bigger than Winter Soldier or even Age of Ultron. Between balancing all these new characters on Earth and the strong likelihood of the Guardians showing up (probably in Part 2, perhaps with an even larger team than in the first Guardians), they have a lot on their plate. They did an excellent job of balancing out the ensemble in Winter Soldier (even better than Avengers, IMO, since in Avengers Hawkeye really got fucked over, while in Winter Soldier even the smaller characters like Sharon Carter or Maria Hill felt like they contributed). Not to mention their new jobs as overseers for Phase 3 and presumably Phase 4.

Another big thing I'm predicting for this is that early on we'll see Thanos begin making his move to get the stones.
Guardians 2 - Thanos takes the Aether from the Collector, the Orb from the Nova Corps, and the Soul Gem from Adam Warlock
Thor: Ragnarok - At the end Thanos kicks the door down into Asgard, takes the Tesseract
Infinity War Part 1 - Heads to Earth to get the Mind Gem from Loki's staff (and the Time Gem potentially from Doctor Strange, since I'm guessing it'll debut there), he gets them, and it ends on a cliffhanger of him with the full power of the Gauntlet

SilverHeart wrote:Another big thing I'm predicting for this is that early on we'll see Thanos begin making his move to get the stones.
Guardians 2 - Thanos takes the Aether from the Collector, the Orb from the Nova Corps, and the Soul Gem from Adam Warlock
Thor: Ragnarok - At the end Thanos kicks the door down into Asgard, takes the Tesseract
Infinity War Part 1 - Heads to Earth to get the Mind Gem from Loki's staff (and the Time Gem potentially from Doctor Strange, since I'm guessing it'll debut there), he gets them, and it ends on a cliffhanger of him with the full power of the Gauntlet
Yeah, Thanos is probably in no hurry when it comes to actually collect the stones, as long as he knows where to find them. Given his relationship with Loki, whom he prosimed would pursue, I wouldn't be surprised if Thanos gets the Infinity Gauntlet from Odin's Vault in this version (as opposed to ceating it himself). He gave Loki that staff with the (presumed) Mind Gem, and didn't seem to bothered too much when Loki lost it on Earth. From Loki he probably can get the Reality Gem's location as well.

It'd be very interesting if he came back as a good guy. They kind of started hinting at a redemption arc in Dark World.

SilverHeart wrote:It'd be very interesting if he came back as a good guy. They kind of started hinting at a redemption arc in Dark World.
What about finale of DW, which sort of rectifies the whole redemption.