Black Panther (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
March 7th, 2018, 9:25 pm
Bacon wrote:
March 7th, 2018, 7:03 pm
Like...the movie's good...but what? Best Picture material this is not (MBJ is hardly BSA as good as he is in the film).
Wrong.
Allstar wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 4:29 am
Bacon has been the one dismissing opinions lately, not me.

I just like to remind myself once in a while that Crash won BP.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
March 7th, 2018, 8:06 pm
Bacon wrote:
Like...the movie's good...but what? Best Picture material this is not (MBJ is hardly BSA as good as he is in the film).

Most Best Picture nominees aren't Best Picture material

This film is better than the new BP champ, for starters

-Vader

Bacon wrote:
March 7th, 2018, 9:30 pm
Allstar wrote:
March 7th, 2018, 9:25 pm
Bacon wrote:
Wrong.
Allstar wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 4:29 am
Bacon has been the one dismissing opinions lately, not me.
Ba-dum-ts.

Taste of his own medicine.

Notice how I don't get butthurt him bringing up an old post? It's not hard.

Allstar wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 12:25 am
Taste of his own medicine.

Notice how I don't get butthurt him bringing up an old post? It's not hard.
What.

You certainly feel the need to comment though.

Allstar wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 12:25 am
It's not hard.

Saw it a second time.

Michael B. Jordan deserves to be nominated. Best Picture would be in order too.

This isn't another Logan or Wonder Woman situation. Black Panther is a great film.

In light of today I wanted to say I was impressed by how fully formed the female characters were in this.

So like, when Gurira's, Nyong'o's, and Wright's characters do cool things, it feels just as earned if not more so than the male characters.

Except for
Mrs. Killmonger, who was kind of yet another villain's disposable girlfriend. If they had developed that like a tiny bit more with a few seconds more screen time it would have made her death more important.

I don’t think it was suppose to be meaningful. She was insignificant to him.

I really liked how women’s gender was incidental to their society. It wasn’t a factor, like at all, in their worth.

Women weren’t used as obstacles to prevent other characters from achieving their goals. Like Killmonger didn’t care what gender you were, no one was special in his eyes. He wasn’t more malicious because you were a women. He treated women in the same manner as any obstacle to his plan.

User of Interest wrote:
March 7th, 2018, 1:54 pm
The Oscars proved yet again this year that they have little interest in nominating major comic book movies for top-tier awards. Movies like THOR: RAGNAROK and WONDER WOMAN received no nominations despite being hailed by critics and audiences around the world. Many in the movie community are wondering when a movie will finally break the mold and snag a key nomination for Best Picture, and director Christopher Nolan thinks we now have that movie with BLACK PANTHER.

Deadline’s Pete Hammond caught up with many of last Sunday’s winners at the post-Oscar ceremony festivities, and there he was able to catch up with Best Director nominee Nolan, whose movie, DUNKIRK, won three awards. The two chatted about the 2019 Oscars, and it was then Nolan predicted that Marvel’s PANTHER will get a nomination for Best Picture.
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/christo ... nation-278
Nolan knows what’s up.

Writing off Black Panther as not Oscar worthy is part of the problem. That limits the range of possible contenders. Whether it is Oscar worthy or not is subjective. Why are genre films scrutinized while others get a pass. People treated Get Out the same way last year. Black Panther is an actual milestone in modern day commercial cinema. It has resonated with so many people and has stellar reviews; Its metascore is higher than The Dark Knight. It is more than good enough to be in the conservation.