Suicide Squad (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
6/10, a good 6/10.

Some of the film making choices in the first hour are baffling. Somehow, though, the horrific rapid fire editing seems to work for the movie over time, allowing for a strange sort of immersion by momentum. It didn't hit me until the drive home that I hadn't thought about anything else for two hours, not money, work, the future, friends, women. Nothing except the neon world that Ayer put together. In that sense the movie worked and I felt good about spending the $15 (fuck movies are $15 now?) on it.

Viola Davis is awesome. Will Smith is a movie star. Joel Kinnaman and Margot Robbie were cool too. As far as Leto, I really liked watching him past that first scene. The problem was, he received close to zero room to breathe. Ledger, to speak of the elephant in the room, got a six minute scene at the beginning of the movie to establish a character in an already very well established world. When Leto got 1 minute late in the movie to try and establish some character (via flashback like most of the movie), he did a really great job in my opinion.

I can't rate it higher than a 6 because, well, it's not a good movie, exactly. Did it take me out of reality for a few enjoyable hours? Absolutely.

well this is divisiver than bvs

Not sure. I mean, with BvS you have people like me giving it almost a 9 and people that gave it a 4. There are people that actually hate the entire thing or love the entire thing while with SS, even those that hate the movie still have goods to say about several scenes at least.

With Suicide Squad I think we all sit somewhere in the middle... Nobody really gives it a 3 or a 4 but nobody really gives it an 8 or a 9 either. I think it's far more balanced in that sense.

RIFA wrote:Not sure. I mean, with BvS you have people like me giving it almost a 9 and people that gave it a 4.

With Suicide Squad I think we all sit somewhere in the middle... Nobody really gives it a 3 or a 4 but nobody really gives it an 8 or a 9 either. I think it's far more balanced in that sense.
Agreed. I don't think anyone would put this near the top of this year or try to talk about some deeper meaning other than what was presented. It's a surface level fun at best. At worst... well, we've heard some of the stuff in this thread already.

Here's the weird thing. I enjoyed Suicide Squad more because it's way more entertaining and fun, and it also impressed me with it's technique. But the lows just keep it from reaching that great area.

BvS on the other hand feels more cohesive to me. It's more straight-forward but I feel it has a bit more depth and just hits better as an overall feature film. Suicide Squad is just a great experiment. It showed potential, and maybe the second will build on the good parts that I think the first one has. I really hope they maintain it's quirky comicbook outlandish style and do not cut the music video sequences in the future. Extreme potential in those directorial choices.

I also wanna see more time given to this version of the Joker in the future. I think Leto does it well but we really have no actual material to offer a proper judgment on the role.

Jesus Christ I'm done with Chris Stuckmann. He's just not original at all. Like everything he fucking says is a collection of review pieces he noted down and thought "yeah, this will make me look like I know what I'm talking about". :lol:

End of that article spells 'Come back, hot Ben, please come back'... why are you even browsing Cosmopolitan articles?

m4st4 wrote:why are you even browsing Cosmopolitan articles?
For the exact same reason I visit Nolanfans: drama

Good lord this movie had the worst third act. So cringeworthy. Enchantress was just batman and robin bad. The big scene with El Diablo towards the end was mind blowing bad.

Forum Pro
Law
Durden wrote:Good lord this movie had the worst third act. So cringeworthy. Enchantress was just batman and robin bad. The big scene with El Diablo towards the end was mind blowing bad.
SHE DOESNT HAVE HER HEART! WE CAN DEFEAT HER!!