David Lynch's Twin Peaks

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Part 17 may be my favorite of the season besides 16. So good and the ending worked. 18 felt like a pointless epilogue to make a point.

Have none of you... seen Lynch?

I'm baffled anyone expected anything else, really. That's not to say it's "good" or "bad" (qualifiers like that hardly apply here), but this entitled idea that we would get a certain kind of finale is so wrong footed I wonder why you watched this in the first place.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Have none of you... seen Lynch?

I'm baffled anyone expected anything else, really. That's not to say it's "good" or "bad" (qualifiers like that hardly apply here), but this entitled idea that we would get a certain kind of finale is so wrong footed I wonder why you watched this in the first place.

-Vader

Not surprised after the previous seasons ended on a cliffhanger but just not entirely satisfied.

-Vader
I specifically said I even liked Inland Empire so... no, I have never seen a David Lynch movie in my life, nor is he one of my favorite directors? :eh:

The thing is, I don't like this specific version of the finale (aka Ep.18) that also happens to be the ultimate version of the finale since it's 100% his vision. Bummer, what else can I add. Others may find new meanings in it and hope for season 4, I won't.

My ambivalence started during that godawful Audrey episode and never let go.

It's simply just not satisfying enough. The ending of Season 2 at the very least wrapped up the storyline while allowing another door to be opened right at the last second. In Episode 17 and 18, it felt like Lynch/Frost were opening up another door without closing the one they just walked through, rushing the conclusion to get into another story that I'm afraid will probably never see the light of day.

Trolling all the way to the Lodge...

Lynch just went 100% Mulholland-Drive on the ending but it didn't worked half as well here. No emotion, just total confusion and I watched it twice. The last 20 minutes of Mulholland Drive were exhilarating, that infinitely long drive to TP? Not so much.

I'm all right with a lot of the many loose ends but no Audrey or Sarah Palmer is total fucking bullshit. Especially Audrey, what the fuck, seriously? Why was she even in the show?

Part 17 was glorious though. Sheryl Lee was kinda weird in her 1990 self, was there CGI involved? I thought it was a bad recast before I read it was her.

Exactly. I don't need to read a single explanation article to feel and enjoy Mullholand Drive. You can tell me exactly what happened, from beginning to end, in TP S03 (which I actually did, via superdetailed reddit post), and I'll still simply shrug it off and move on with my life, no emotion left.

Dougie and his family, along with Mitchum bros, were the best thing about this season.

-Vader
Just because it's a typical Lynch ending doesn't mean we have to be all like "Oh that David Lynch."

I don't blame anybody for feeling a shot to the balls, I certainly did. I will only say that perhaps especially because I recently went through trauma and loss in my own life, TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN left me devastated. Confused, a little bored, and even slightly angry. But devastated. The answers the fan community wanted, hell the answers I wanted too, were (for the most part) left opaque and unresolved. Why?

Spoilers, DO NOT OPEN unless you have watched BOTH parts of the finale:
Because you can't wash away the past. You can't erase trauma. You must allow the fractured reality that follows. It is painful and unwanted, but necessary and present. Love is not enough. The world will no longer make sense. After my mom suddenly died April 25th last year, I had my own "Laura Palmer" and my sense of reality and being became fragmented. It wasn't just David Lynch that kept the answers hidden, it was Dale Cooper, and the black lodge, and the arm, and the one armed man. A multiverse of entities combatting evil are alone and scared and struggle. There are no answers left that matter.

What THE RETURN does show us, though, is what that kind of ammunition to fight evil and loneliness and trauma really looks like. It's Norma choosing her integrity over profit at the Double R diner. It's Benjamin Horne not taking advantage of a lonely employee. It's Harry Dean Stanton's Carl Rodd helping one of his tenants with their rent so they don't get injured. Or Nadine allowing Ed to find happiness with another woman. And of course, there's the only truly enlightened character in the entirety of THE RETURN: Dougie Jones. A being of pure consciousness, spreading purity and good will and strength everywhere he goes. When Cooper comes back for his final mission, it is a regression from Dougie, not a progression..

Life is complex and unresolvable and full of pain. Perhaps, in the end, what Dale Cooper needed was to grab a shovel.

-Vader

Man, that was perfectly said.

I'm at a point in my life where I really need someone/something to lift me up, even if it's a goddamn lie in the end. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why this finale depresses me a bit. There are no happy endings - this is the one true timeline: eternal ambivalent unknown.

So count your blessings I guess.