Manchester by the Sea (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I saw this a few days ago and confess to be a little bit underwhelmed by it. It's certainly anchored by several strong performances, but its juggling of multiple tones only partially worked for me, and some further exposition behind a few relationships could have bolstered the eventual emotional moments.

My new favorite movie of the year. Stupendously touching, completely hilarious when it chooses to be, and Affleck is so subdued yet lets you know how to feel with one single look. My only criticism is that the editing gets jumpy at times, and you couldn't tell what was a flashback and what wasn't. Outside of those things, this was a completely wild ride of a full spectrum of emotions.

Film of the year. Casey for best actor too.

I'm catching up on 2016 films and think I might have done a disservice to the next films I see by watching this first.

Soooo sad. Like after Lee meets the lawyer; I was proper crying till the end yo. I love family drama, which is what I thought I was getting, but this is straight tragedy yo. The storytelling was great - the flashbacks were used effectively.

Everything hangs on Casey Affleck's performance which is just a beautiful torture. We will probably be seeing that scene between Affleck and Michelle Williams throughout award season - with good reason. Williams and Lucas Hedges are all deserving of recognition.

This film broke me yo, but I must be a masochist, because I am itching to see it again yo.

Great film. Casey, my man.

It's a good film. It's a little slow at the beginning but as soon as you get what was wrong with Casey's character it became a fascinating study of extreme grief and guilt.

Mike Stoklasa of Red Letter Media said this is not a good movie because the characters are "depressing".

:facepalm:

why do you watch rlm if you hate it? i have stuckman blocked on youtube and report anyone who posts him

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:why do you watch rlm if you hate it?
Why do you still click into the Batman v Superman thread?

To answer your question, I enjoy hate watching time to time. I don't consistently watch lol.

It makes me sad when I see posts (not here), tweets, or comments of people dismissing the film and not wanting to acknowledge Casey Affleck's performance because of past allegations. These people are not willing to give this film a chance. So sad. :(