Manchester by the Sea (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ramin Setoodeh ‏@RaminSetoodeh
The reception at the Eccles for 'Manchester By the Sea' is reminiscent of the electricity in the room when 'Boyhood' debuted here.

@rkylesmith
Kenneth Lonergan's Manchester by the Sea: wrenching family drama like Ordinary People, In the Bedroom-Casey Affleck brilliant #Sundance2016

@AADowd
Gonna be hard to convey in words how much I loved MANCHESTER BY THE SEA. But it's my job, so guess I'll try tomorrow. #Sundance2016

Joshua Rothkopf ‏@joshrothkopf
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA is tremendous. The complete picture of a family moving through grief. Casey Affleck burns like nothing I've ever seen.

@wellshwood
Casey Affleck has never had a role like this -- he'll most likely never get this lucky again...but he might. Let's hope. It's a home run.

@TomiLaffly
Casey Affleck....he just grabs your heart. Takes your breath away. #ManchesterByTheSea #Sundance

‏@nickallen_redux
If festgoers applauded drama like they do comedy, there is a sequence in MANCHESTER BY THE SEA worthy of a standing ovation

rin WhitneyVerified account ‏@CinemaBite
Manchester By the Sea, undoubtedly best film I've seen at #Sundance so far. Michelle Williams does *so* much with so few scenes.

'Manchester By the Sea' is the first truly commercial movie of #Sundance2016.

Terrell Garrett ‏@TerrellTGarrett
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA just got a standing ovation. #Sundance2016 #manchesterbythesea

Casey Affleck could earn his first Oscars nomination for 'Manchester By The Sea.' #Sundance2016

Hollywood Elsewhere ‏@wellshwood
Kenneth Lonergan's "Manchester By The Sea" is an immensely sad (but not depressing), triple-A grief drama that will knock your socks off.

Anne Helen PetersenVerified account ‏@annehelen
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA is so very Lonergan, which is to say: filled with New England, deep unhealed grief, & the most unexpected humor

Scott Renshaw ‏@scottrenshaw
Well, it looks like a long week of anticipation before I can see MANCHESTER BY THE SEA *next* Sunday.

Let the 2017 Oscars buzz begin with 'Manchester By the Sea.' #Sundance2016

Jeff SneiderVerified account ‏@TheInSneider
You Can Count On Kenny Lonergan to deliver a great movie w/ MANCHESTER BY THE SEA. Can't see M. Damon in Casey Affleck's role. He's perfect.

'Manchester by the Sea' is heartbreaking, gorgeous, operatic--with Kenneth Lonergan at his finest. #Sundance2016

Josh Lincoln DickeyVerified account ‏@JLDlite
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA is ... wow. A tough, real as hell emotional marathon worth running. Casey Affleck to the front of the line. #SUNDANCE

Adam Chitwood ‏@adamchitwood
'Manchester by the Sea' is great, great, great. Review to come.

Damon Wise ‏@yo_damo
Manchester By The Sea: Lovely to see Kenneth Lonergan back, but I'd hoped it would be with something more memorable #Sundance2016

Alison WillmoreVerified account ‏@alisonwillmore
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA: Is fantastic, and also like having your heart slowly cut out. #Sundance

Sam Adams ‏@SamuelAAdams
Manchester by the Sea: This movie is very good. #Sundance
This has shot up to one of my most anticipated with Affleck being one of my most anticipated performances.

Allstar wrote:Image
A lot of studios.
But Sundance’s sleepy status could change quickly with several buzzed-about films generating heated interest over the past 24 hours. Most likely to go first is the Casey Affleck starrer Manchester by the Sea, which made its world premiere Saturday night and was followed quickly by stellar reviews. Sony Pictures Classics, Universal, Fox Searchlight, Broad Green Pictures, TriStar and Lionsgate all are vying for the Kenneth Lonergan-helmed family drama. Sources say bidding was in the $7 million range on Sunday morning.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ket-858763

Some biggies there (Universal & Lionsgate), of course that Fox Searchlight will not end buying this and lol two studios of the same company (Tristar & SPC) bidding for the same film.
/randomthoughts

This film is reaaaaaalllly big.

The price tag for the drama about a grief-stricken Boston handyman (Casey Affleck) has drawn offers between $7 million and $10 million, sources tell Variety. Fox Searchlight, Amazon and Focus Features are among the companies making offers for the picture. WME is handling sales. Other distributors, such as The Weinstein Co. and Broad Green, are not bidding. The film also drew early interest from Tri-Star, but no offer.
http://variety.com/2016/film/festivals/ ... 201687390/

Sorry for the triple post, but we have a winner:
EXCLUSIVE: Amazon is closing a $10 million deal for domestic rights to Manchester By The Sea, the Kenneth Longergan-directed drama that premiered Saturday to the best reviews of the 2016 Sundance Film Festival so far. This after an all night auction for a movie that Amazon acquired with plans for a traditional theatrical release with an awards season campaign. Sony, Universal, Fox and Lionsgate were into this and topped out in high seven figures in a WME Global brokered deal. Sierra is handling foreign so by the time all is said and done, this could be a $20 million deal and one of the biggest seen on these slopes in some time.
http://deadline.com/2016/01/manchester- ... 201689425/

Can't wait. Lonergan's previous two features are superb.

Lonergan is one of the best filmmakers around.

The Film Stage ‏@TheFilmStage
The incredible 'Manchester By the Sea' will open on November 18th.