Kong: Skull Island (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:well I think the individual parts are actually neat on their own

Reilly never fails to impress me and on his own in these clips he seems like a delight, the monsters themselves are cool, I think Hiddleston and Larson seem at the very least serviceable, the color grading and overall look are interesting, but nothing seems like it jibes with the rest

it's like ice cream, pizza, hot cocoa, spaghetti, popcorn, and soda are great ... but all together?

idk, maybe it's just bad trailer syndrome, so it we'll see what happens
But what has that got to do with tone? Which was your primal concern...

Nomis wrote:

Reilly never fails to impress me and on his own in these clips he seems like a delight, the monsters themselves are cool, I think Hiddleston and Larson seem at the very least serviceable, the color grading and overall look are interesting, but nothing seems like it jibes with the rest

it's like ice cream, pizza, hot cocoa, spaghetti, popcorn, and soda are great ... but all together?

from what I can gather, tone is like a combination of all of these things to create an atmosphere or a theme

I guess my issue is that it's hard to find the central tone or theme from the trailer itself because nothing seems like it fits with anything else

does that make sense?

anyway, I think I've probably read far too much into this already without having seen the film

Cilogy wrote:
Nomis wrote:

from what I can gather, tone is like a combination of all of these things to create an atmosphere or a theme

I guess my issue is that it's hard to find the central tone or theme from the trailer itself because nothing seems like it fits with anything else

does that make sense?

anyway, I think I've probably read far too much into this already without having seen the film
idk, it does feel like all those things together make sense. Maybe Hiddleston isn't a very convincing tough guy or Reilly (although always good imo) a bit too comedic compared to the rest but no, I don't think anything is really out of place. And by that I mean anything that would mess with the tone. For example, Doc Ock's surgery scene in Spider-Man 2.

This looks so fucking stupid

It definitely lacks the magic and sense of wonder that I associate with King Kong movies.

What did i just watched.

Just saw an early screening of it, it was not good. The characters are either generic as hell or just terrible walking cliches, the dialogue is subpar and the editing is so choppy to the point that it honestly reminded me of BvS(theatrical version) and Suicide Squad. Some of the action sequences were pretty cool, and the visual effects are great, but that's about it. It's a shame because I actually do like the concept, the idea of Kong being a sort of protector of the island against a bigger threat, and it actually does a decent job of expanding the universe. It has a good template, but it was just poorly executed.

5/10

Forum Pro
Law
TomsWindow wrote:Just saw an early screening of it, it was not good. The characters are either generic as hell or just terrible walking cliches, the dialogue is subpar and the editing is so choppy to the point that it honestly reminded me of BvS(theatrical version) and Suicide Squad. Some of the action sequences were pretty cool, and the visual effects are great, but that's about it. It's a shame because I actually do like the concept, the idea of Kong being a sort of protector of the island against a bigger threat, and it actually does a decent job of expanding the universe. It has a good template, but it was just poorly executed.

5/10

Well 6 more hours before the embargo is lifted.£

Law wrote:Image
Take it as you will. Plus I'm confident that critics will share my opinion on this. I predict 25-35% on RT.