Ghost in the Shell (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
I'm all for a live adaptation. I have no problem with that. I think Ghost in the Shell would make for a hell of a movie.

But not in these greasy hands... :sick:

User avatar
Posts: 8049
Joined: October 2011
Location: Chungking Mansions
The success of this project partially depends on what they draw from the GiTs franchise. There's a fantastic world there ready to be adapted but you would have to cherry pick aspects from various sources for it to work. A direct adaptation from the first film, wouldn't work because it's unconventional/vague/experimental. Stand Alone Complex is brilliant but very dense. The comic is all over the shop.
But this runs the real risk of being a very boring sci-fi actioner with a couple of cool ideas here and there. Kikuchi is a poor choice, but for some reason I feel whitewashing this film would be less offensive than whitewashing Akira.

But I think it's in everyone's best interest that neither this or Akira get made.

User avatar
Posts: 5434
Joined: June 2012
Location: Free
RIFA wrote:I'm all for a live adaptation. I have no problem with that. I think Ghost in the Shell would make for a hell of a movie.

But not in these greasy hands... :sick:
Sure, but the point is, it is already a movie, isn't it? Why the craving for a live-action adaptation?

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Cop 223 wrote:but for some reason I feel whitewashing this film would be less offensive than whitewashing Akira.
What's whitewashing?
didich wrote:Sure, but the point is, it is already a movie, isn't it? Why the craving for a live-action adaptation?
The question is: Why not?

User avatar
Posts: 8049
Joined: October 2011
Location: Chungking Mansions
Like replacing the original cultural/racial background of somwthing to something more palatable for the West in terms of characters/setting/culture etc I don't really care as long as the film is good and somewhat logical in that sort of matter- both GitS and Akira have distinctly Japanese atmospheres to them but I think less will be lost if GitS gets the usual treatment. That's slightly more relevant in GitS: SAC.

Posts: 7448
Joined: February 2012
didich wrote:Why does everything need a live-action adaptation. I mean, sure, if someone truly had a vision adaptations happen all the time but doing something for the sake of just... doing it. I don't know I don't think it's the way to go.
Because. . .

User avatar
Posts: 5434
Joined: June 2012
Location: Free
RIFA wrote:
didich wrote:Sure, but the point is, it is already a movie, isn't it? Why the craving for a live-action adaptation?
The question is: Why not?
Well, because, generally speaking, "why not" tends to produce mediocre and bad movies. I can udnerstand the adaptation if someone truly has a vision that can work in the new medium but adaptation for adaptation's sake, I would say, is a mistake.

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
didich wrote:Well, because, generally speaking, "why not" tends to produce mediocre and bad movies. I can udnerstand the adaptation if someone truly has a vision that can work in the new medium but adaptation for adaptation's sake, I would say, is a mistake.
So basically the problem is not in producing live-adaptations but in producing them for the wrong reasons.

Therefore I'm all for a live adaptation but not in these conditions.

User avatar
Posts: 1072
Joined: November 2012
Cop 223 wrote:The success of this project partially depends on what they draw from the GiTs franchise. There's a fantastic world there ready to be adapted but you would have to cherry pick aspects from various sources for it to work. A direct adaptation from the first film, wouldn't work because it's unconventional/vague/experimental. Stand Alone Complex is brilliant but very dense. The comic is all over the shop.
But this runs the real risk of being a very boring sci-fi actioner with a couple of cool ideas here and there. Kikuchi is a poor choice, but for some reason I feel whitewashing this film would be less offensive than whitewashing Akira.

But I think it's in everyone's best interest that neither this or Akira get made.
You go to Shirow work . It has so many ideas , concepts , worldbuilding. Just his notes alone are amazing. And you adapt from there.

Yeah the sexuality would be impossible to put on film (but Shirows a perv , so everyone understands it) , and some of the craziness probably is hard to translate....but you have a lot of juice in there.

I love Gits and all it's different iterations and interpretations. A Live Action should be really good but it has to be in great hands , something which right now clearly isn't.

And this film doesn't deserve whitewashing. Shirow paints clearly a picture of a fragmented world , and a clear distinction between east and west. The shows even goes further , to great length to dwell on Japan's role on world military and how the past was such an influence. If you take that way , its a completely different thing.

User avatar
Posts: 17502
Joined: May 2011
SCARLETT JOHANSSON OFFERED LEAD
Based on the 1995 film of the same name (as well as the Manga comic), GHOST IN THE SHELL is the latest anime adaptation in the Hollywood pipeline, with SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN's Rupert Sanders directing. Recently, it was reported that THE WOLF OF WALL STREET's Margot Robbie was up for the lead role of Motoko Kusanagi, the cyborg heroine of the series, but apparently aggresive negotiations to get her into David Ayer's just-announced SUICIDE SQUAD may have derailed her involvement and now the word is that a $10 million offer has been made to Black Widow herself, Scarlett Johansson, to take the part.

After her success as the Marvel heroine, as well as the badass in Luc Besson's summer sleeper, LUCY, Johansson has proven herself to be an action star to contend with, giving her a better payday (if she takes it) and puts her in front of a more high-profile project to help grease her career wheels. Personally, I think it's a great project for Johansson, capitalizing on the clout she's built as a strong female asskicker and gives her a little more diversity than a black jumpsuit and red in her ledger. Plus, if Marvel isn't going to give her a Black Widow standalone film, she doesn't have much choice but to pursue other opportunites for lead roles. GHOST IN THE SHELL could be just what she needs.

No word on how close she may or may not be to signing on, but the deal is sure to move along quickly. Johansson will next be seen again as Natasha Romanov/Black Widow in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON on May 1, 2015.
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/scarlet ... -shell-199

Post Reply