Ghost in the Shell (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
RIFA wrote:In. In. In.

If they keep the same intro with the same music... MY GAWD.
If you don't mind the spoilerific nature of the video, I posted a snippet from the sequence and Kawai was there with his orchestra so I can't imagine them changing the iconic sequence. ;)

Here: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/797739071749517312

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

That looks like it's shot by shot without the matrix. :shock:

I hope they keep the matrix somehow.

SMH people still not satisfied and calling this "garbage-hollywood-trash-looking" and "whitewashed"...

I'm done.

RIFA wrote:SMH people still not satisfied and calling this "garbage-hollywood-trash-looking" and "whitewashed"...

I'm done.
Yeah at this point it's ridiculous to say it's anything but faithful to what Masamune Shirow created. All of the original anime team is behind this and I really have no issue with Scar-Jo, on the contrary she looks fabulous. Would I prefer someone like miss Kikuchi in titular role? Yes, but what we got here is more than enough.

For those that have seen GITS but never really dug deeper.

This looks incredible.

It will interesting to see both this and Blade Runner being released in the same year.

Looks good.

2017:
-Ghost in the Shell
-Alien Covenant
-Annihilation
-Blade Runner 2049
Battle Angel Alita in 2018.

SciFi in my veins baby.

I don't get slamming those who are still not fully on board with this, people have their reasons, say what you will. Not having seen the anime (i'm just slow as fuck), I will refrain from further judgement, apart from my initial "wtf" reaction and the fact that hollywood does have a problem, but I like the whole vibe going on. I ain't boarding the hype train just yet tho, I don't wanna be fooled by a good trailer like I've been many times before lol

looks deeply uninteresting

Ruth wrote:I don't get slamming those who are still not fully on board with this, people have their reasons, say what you will. Not having seen the anime (i'm just slow as fuck), I will refrain from further judgement, apart from my initial "wtf" reaction and the fact that hollywood does have a problem, but I like the whole vibe going on. I ain't boarding the hype train just yet tho, I don't wanna be fooled by a good trailer like I've been many times before lol
Who said anything about people who are reasonably cautious? I'm cautious ever since I saw Spider-Man 3 nine years ago. RIFA is talking about people who are still slamming this specifically for white-washing and lack of originality in Hollywood.

a) I don't think it's reasonable to talk about white-washing after they've clearly showed us nothing but love and respect for the original and we've all mostly agreed here that Scar-Jo brings the star power.
b) Manga/anime is a major (mostly) unexplored market, if just one of these becomes a major hit, others will follow (Rodriguez with Alita etc). So, yes, Hollywood always had problems with unique materials, but at least Eastern market would be a new goldmine of ideas for them to explore. Problem of live action anime is a lot like problem of video game adaptations - we just need one or two that are mindblowing and not just serviceable or even trash.

Some would say Matrix is like a western anime, and it is, but I'm talking purely adaptations. Same goes for Jodorowsky's Valerian by Luc Besson. Those types of SF gambles ought to be successful to warrant further investments. In recent memory, John Carter and Jupiter Ascending weren't in any way successful so whenever a project like GITS happens it's almost like a miracle.

I still don't believe this can become a huge breakthrough like, for example, 300 in March. Those were different times. Beauty & The Beast will most likely reach a billion, Power Rangers seem to be gathering quite the following, even without the full blown trailer and Sony is releasing Smurfs animation in the first week of April. All of those factors need to be taken into consideration. Hopefully this will release in China and, you know, actually be any good in terms of script, acting and direction.
Last edited by m4st4 on November 13th, 2016, 8:50 am, edited 5 times in total.