Ghost in the Shell (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
as my grampa always said: there's no clearer indication of a weak vision than unmotivated camera movement

Vader182 wrote:I don't like the suit, and the direction/editing seems stilted.

-Vader
Well, couple of moments have been cut from the original scene. That's not how this will unfold.

More often than not Americans lack the imagination and creativity to adapt a great Japanese work. Mid tier animes have more enterprise than 99% of Hollywood blockbusters these days. I'm not ruling out the possibility that someone might actually pull it off, but I'm not betting on Sanders to be that person.£

Allstar wrote:This is embargoed and not screening to North American critics till day before release. Tells you all you need to know.
FTFY but point still applies I guess. I hear embargo lifts Tuesday night. Most non-US critics have seen it already, believe the big UK multimedia screening is tonight.
RIFA wrote:
Vader182 wrote:I don't like the suit, and the direction/editing seems stilted.

-Vader
Well, couple of moments have been cut from the original scene. That's not how this will unfold.
I know it doesn't detract from the purpose of promotional clips but I kinda hate how studios recut scenes from the film for the online release 'clips' - why call them clips at all then if they aren't how they'll actually play out in the film? I mean look at this and what if that was released as the 'clip':

Some (well, one) review quotes:

UK press screening tonight, here are some Twitter reactions
The new #GhostInTheShell is half old Ghost in the Shell (1995), half Lucy (2014).

The amazing futuristic cityscapes in #GhostInTheShell make Blade Runner look positively quaint...

Well, #GhostInTheShell is officially one of my favourite films in a long, LONG time. Absolutely adored it.

From Scarlett Johansson to the future cityscapes, #GhostintheShell is absolutely beautiful.

Really enjoyed #ghostintheshell looked beautiful, storyline simplified and changed from the original feature.

If you thought Twitter was angry about #GhostInTheShell whitewashing *before* they saw it, YOU JUST WAIT until they actually watch it

#GhostInTheShell: never less than visually spectacular but never more than mildly entertaining. Scar-Jo brought very little to the party.

To my discomfort, I found myself being blown away by #GhostintheShell. The artwork, the vision, the music is breathtaking......But the plot line (that I won't spoil) fucks up the fact that Major isn't played by a Japanese actor even more. Added to this, it feels like once again a culture has been used by Hollywood as a backdrop for a story that centres white characters. They could also have added more meat to the philosophical question. But I'll add it to the long list of problematic things I enjoy.

.@GhostInShell is eyes frying mind blowing cyber-fi full of rad visuals & gawp-inducing action. Scarlett = incredible #ghostintheshell

So... Just saw the Ghost in the Shell remake. Well... it has moments, I guess
In fact, the new Ghost in the Shell is a perfect example of moments vs. scenes (props to @TheeNerdwriter) https://youtu.be/38Cy_Qlh7VM
The only well directed scenes in the Ghost in the Shell reboot are the ones ripped from the original. Everything else is bland
The Ghost in the Shell remake tries desperately to justify the whitewashing. DESPERATELY. It fails.
There's a moment in Ghost in the Shell I've not been more excited to see the public reaction to since "MARTHA" in BvS

ARE YOU ACTUALLY FUCKING WITH ME, GHOST IN THE SHELL
HOLD MY SHOVEL WHILE I LEAP STRAIGHT INTO THIS WHITEWASHING GRAVE I DUG MYSELF
English-language review embargo lifts midnight London time on Thursday (Wednesday night for the US.) I'm seeing this tomorrow night....

Seems like it's going to have a very very divisive reaction. I'm still excited for it, and I'll probably watch the original Anime tonight before seeing this new one tomorrow. As long as it is visually pretty, I should enjoy myself plenty.

Honestly​, really pleasantly surprised by this. The visuals and the action are the main attraction, and do overall end up making up for the straightforward self discovery/revenge story. Maybe people expected more because of the original (which I haven't watched)? But thinking about it, for a big budget PG13 blockbuster this is probably the best they could've done. Scarlett is surprisingly good, she really sells you on how she's not fully human - there's an element of coldness to her that she pulls off here with Major. Pilou's warmth and coolness in his own way as Batou complements Scarlett very nicely. Binoche and Takeshi were both cool to see, Binoche especially. I wish they picked a better known actor with more gravitas for Cutter though, so much wasted potential with that character who is just cliche at this point. Michael Pitt - I wish he was in it more bot wow he made a real imoression in his scenes, which the trailers do not do justice (mainly the stunning voice, which is such an unsettling mix of Hawking and his own stylisations). Overall - it's a pretty nicely done solid action film, it's not OMG MASTERPIECE OUTSTANDING but it does what it was set out to do and is frankly a great time. Will probably see again in IMAX 3D at some point.

7/10

P.S. did they shamelessly end up getting Balfe to rescore Mansell's main thematic material in the first half of the film including the shelling/opening titles (which btw, have the GHOST IN THE SHELL title appear TWICE?)? Because it's so different from the IMAX preview music wise, I was so bummed as Mansell's main theme was just amazing there, and in the finished it's just...eh? Mansell's original theme shines through the final third very nicely though.

Just got back. I actually watched the original 1995 version today in preparation for the movie, and I really dug that movie. Walking out of this one, it does tell a story that feels similar to the original version, but decides to make it a more personal story for the character of the Major. However, I felt the themes were a lot stronger in the 1995 version than this one. This was a case of style over substance, as well as third act problems. The first 40 minutes of the movie is actually excellent, but the more the mystery unravels, the more messy it gets. But thankfully, it avoids becoming a disaster, making it up for being a beautiful looking movie; the visuals are spectacular, it's tonally intriguing, and the music is majestic. Johansson was convincing up until a certain point, and I think you'll know which point I'm talking about when you see the movie for yourself. Even the action is rather dull in parts. It's funny, because no matter how much I say that this movie has flaws, there's still something alluring about it that makes me really like it. It'll have its fans, but it will also have its haters, but that was always inevitable.

That looks better. Will watch this saturday.