Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This topic is so much fun to read, please don't stop

Cilogy wrote:how do you people not lose your minds with all these ridiculous definitions of words that essentially mean the same thing?
They are not ridiculous definitions. Like I said... it's easy to google a definition like ChristNolan did and then claim you know what that word means. But when that word is used in a certain context in the world of film... then a slight different definition is not absurd by any means. Sure, you need to have more knowledge of the subject. Whether that means studying film at school or being a passionate cinephile... you will inevitably end up knowing more than the average guy. You will inevitably learn that one word could have different meanings depending on the context the word is used in.

Vader tries to explain it but then someone like ChristNolan comes in blasting off in fashion without having a clue what he's talking about. So what would someone like Vader or myself do next since he'll obviously be irritated or just really put off by that kind reaction? He could continue giving arguments (but then he'll get ignored/mocked for trying to "school" someone from his pretentious chair), he could ignore it (but then the guys will have a good laugh and continue to live in ignorance), or he could retaliate (which would make him look like a douche). So either way he loses. For sure less by ignoring... but still.
RIFA wrote:Think about the Jason Reitman comparison. His movies are well shot, they have good music, and a lot of great moments. However... none of his movies are cinematic. Why do you think that is?
I'll add another director to this list. Spike Lee.

A movie to be purely cinematic would also need to have a strong relationship with time. It needs to paint and sing the text and not just frame it and recite it. Which means basically enhancing the experience through unique cinematic tricks that would pull the audience in. Usually the most cinematic movies are those that would work extremely well even if you mute them. Passion of Joan of Arc, Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars, Chinatown, Ivan's Childhood... The Dark Knight... are all great cinematic experiences. I really don't see Up in the Air or Looper making sense here.
Last edited by RIFA on June 20th, 2014, 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Arndt where is you Scooby Doooooo ..........

Vader182 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Bad move.

-Vader
Explain.
Johnson is an idea man. The strongest aspects of Looper are conceptual, not cinematic. Star Wars is what people mean when they say the movies, that abstract notion of romanticizing the movie going experience that, while it happens to us film fans all the time, it somehow, for one night, makes everyone feel like a serious enthusiast of film. In a word (or two): movie magic. It isn't intellectual, it isn't cerebral. It's an eyes-wide-open thrill ride; it's unapologetic, unadulterated adventure. Star Wars is pure cinema. But none of these qualities have been present in Johnson's work. I'm puzzled and disappointed by this choice.

-Vader
I actually agree with this. I love Looper, and he directed some of my favourite episodes of Breaking Bad, but nothing about Johnson's work screams Star Wars at me. That, and I also kinda prefer a trilogy or overarching narrative to have a consistent directorial vision. I know that sounds weird, considering the fact that they also switched directors for the original trilogy, but that was lightning in a bottle.

"Episode's" lol wow. Just noticed.

Bacon wrote:"Episode's" lol wow.
Grammar nazis overcompensate for having poor ideas.

Also, Lucas basically deserved a directing credit on Jedi. It wasn't quite lightning in a bottle.

-Vader

I've always took "cinematic" to basically mean "of or relating to cinema/film/movies". Further reclassifying it seems pointless to me.

Cilogy wrote:I've always took "cinematic" to basically mean "of or relating to cinema/film/movies". Further reclassifying it seems pointless to me.
Arbitrarily limiting language is equally as pointless by that logic. Language is limitless.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Bacon wrote:"Episode's" lol wow.
Grammar nazis overcompensate for having poor ideas.

Also, Lucas basically deserved a directing credit on Jedi. It wasn't quite lightning in a bottle.

-Vader
I don't really know too much of the production of Return of The Jedi, oddly enough.

Vader182 wrote: Grammar nazis overcompensate for having poor ideas.
Seriously though, it was a joke.