Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Agree with most what you said Virgo. The numbers will be fine for TLJ but that probably isn't the bottom line. The only thing I don't agree with is 'hurt the brand'. I can't see that happening. It's Star Wars, if the prequels didn't harm it losing money at the box office from one movie to another isn't either.

Star Wars is too big, sure. But Disney's take on Star Wars can be seriously damaged with some financial missteps as have Lucas' prequel trilogy experienced the same with a massive decline in Clones' gross, but ultimately people still weren't even remotely done with the franchise, as proven by Awakens.£

This is an imperfect metaphor, but The Force Awakens and Rogue One are warm Chewbacca hugs of nostalgia.

The Last Jedi is the wampa.

There's literally a trending article titled "The Last Jedi's best moment is a "fuck you" to George Lucas and J.J. Abrams."Disney not only expected this to happen, it's what they wanted. They want to revitalize and recalibrate what audiences expect and want from Star Wars. Not for Solo or Episode 9 or Obi-Wan, but for beyond and the future of the franchise as a whole.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:There's literally a trending article titled "The Last Jedi's best moment is a "fuck you" to George Lucas and J.J. Abrams."Disney not only expected this to happen, it's what they wanted. They want to revitalize and recalibrate what audiences expect and want from Star Wars. Not for Solo or Episode 9 or Obi-Wan, but for beyond and the future of the franchise as a whole.

-Vader
I think this is what you want the case to be rather than what it actually is.

How?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:How?

-Vader
I don't think Disney realized what this film actually was..KK sure but not the suits above, they were too distracted by Porgs to realize.

Let's not forget they considered Age of Ultron a financial disappointment.

A big question Kennedy's been openly unsure of how to answer is where to take the franchise beyond Episode IX and Obi-Wan. The Last Jedi is partially the answer to that question. It prepares audiences for a Star Wars that isn't led by the rigidly familiar and nostalgic. If Disney wants Star Wars to stay relevant and culturally dominant, it's going to have to change. Obviously, Solo, IX, and Obi-Wan are going to make crazy money regardless.

But Disney is looking ten years down the road. How do we know that's true? Because Rian Johnson is conceptualizing an entirely fresh trilogy with zero familiar planets, characters, or iconography we love and cheer at. Audiences today may not be ready for a totally new Star Wars. But The Last Jedi prepares the audience of tomorrow.

-Vader

Just came back from my 2nd viewing. It's still great imo... lol. I think what Cilogy said about the dangers of fans falling into the trap of backlash is important, at some point I caught myself wondering if it's affected my views on this film, almost as if... am I still liking this the way I did when I first saw it? But nah I do lol. Some stuff I and others talked about still feels valid
-uuuugh the movie should've ended on that last shot of the whole crew aboard Falcon
-that tonal shift with Rey at the end still feels bizarre, so I still stand by what I've written. But I was mistaken by that "rock" line, comic relief or not, the "woah I like this!" (or something like that) line when we see her firing the guns on Falcon annoys me more lol.
-Phasma's just irrelevant wow. I feel like my second watch made me notice this even more. I know she's relevant to Finn and his past, but right now I feel like maybe they shouldn't have even bothered with her in TLJ
- Kylo vs Hux and their "competence" got me thinking - I don't think Kylo's dumb, but yeah, after killing off Snoke he goes back to being way too unstable and impulsive/reactive to triggers lol? to be a competent supreme leader. Who knows though. His future outline really feels like uncharted territory for me. As for Hux though... Can't really see it either. Snoke even called him a rabid dog who's of good use when exploited. He also gives off the vibe of a coward. He doesn't really have emotional ties that could stop him from going all the way though
-and maybe some other stuff I either forgot or can't really be bothered to reread my posts bc mobile
Overall, stuff that maybe made me raise my brows a bit (in a good or bad way), didn't leave me as confused this time? I still recognized this movie's 'wackness', but it didn't give me any trouble staying "in the mood" of the movie.
P.S. I still don't really mind Canto Bight lol.

The pictures that Vader posted of FB posts are hardly accurate tbh.

Ruth wrote:Just came back from my 2nd viewing. It's still great imo... lol. I think what Cilogy said about the dangers of fans falling into the trap of backlash is important, at some point I caught myself wondering if it's affected my views on this film, almost as if... am I still liking this the way I did when I first saw it? But nah I do lol. Some stuff I and others talked about still feels valid
-uuuugh the movie should've ended on that last shot of the whole crew aboard Falcon
-that tonal shift with Rey at the end still feels bizarre, so I still stand by what I've written. But I was mistaken by that "rock" line, comic relief or not, the "woah I like this!" (or something like that) line when we see her firing the guns on Falcon annoys me more lol.
-Phasma's just irrelevant wow. I feel like my second watch made me notice this even more. I know she's relevant to Finn and his past, but right now I feel like maybe they shouldn't have even bothered with her in TLJ
- Kylo vs Hux and their "competence" got me thinking - I don't think Kylo's dumb, but yeah, after killing off Snoke he goes back to being way too unstable and impulsive/reactive to triggers lol? to be a competent supreme leader. Who knows though. His future outline really feels like uncharted territory for me. As for Hux though... Can't really see it either. Snoke even called him a rabid dog who's of good use when exploited. He also gives off the vibe of a coward. He doesn't really have emotional ties that could stop him from going all the way though
-and maybe some other stuff I either forgot or can't really be bothered to reread my posts bc mobile
Overall, stuff that maybe made me raise my brows a bit (in a good or bad way), didn't leave me as confused this time? I still recognized this movie's 'wackness', but it didn't give me any trouble staying "in the mood" of the movie.
P.S. I still don't really mind Canto Bight lol.
Kylo is probably entitled to go off the deep end at the sight of his old master who tried to murder him.

I do like that Hux sees through it. I love where Johnson took Hux, he's become the funniest and potentially most dangerous character in the new trilogy.

The last sequence is the entire point of the movie, tho

Phasma's inclusion is important to assert Finn's allegiance - his motives at the start of his arc are to save Rey, by the end it's the ideal of the Resistance/Rebels. Phasma is a perfectly acceptable enabler, and it's a spectacular mano-y-mano, albiet brief sequence. The film needed one somewhere.