Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I know you're joking but you know there WAS an actual third lesson that was filmed and cut, yeh?

Also, Cil:
The Luke-Rey comparison is kinda nonsensical. Rey is with Luke for two days. Luke is with Yoda for at least weeks but possibly months (it's famously vague). We also see Yoda training Luke physically, training Luke with the force, training Luke philosophy, he basically gets a crash course. Rey gets... two lessons, only one of which counts as any kind of "real" training. It lasts about 3 minutes long. And unlike Luke-Rey, it's implied Yoda is training Luke nonstop from dusk till dawn. We know Luke doesn't actively train Rey. What we see is what we get.

And please remember... Luke already trained with Obi-Wan during their travels, and there's a time jump between Hope and Empire. And between Empire and Return of the Jedi. It takes Luke years before he's matured into being a Jedi.

It took Rey 5 days.

-Vader

So perhaps there's more to the story then for IX.
if Abrams and Terrio are smart, (which they are not) they'll use this gap to their advantage in exploring Rey more (which they won't)

In which case it'll probably boil down to her being special because she just is or some bullshit like that

Cilogy wrote:So perhaps there's more to the story then for IX.
if Abrams and Terrio are smart, (which they are not) they'll use this gap to their advantage in exploring Rey more (which they won't)

In which case it'll probably boil down to her being special because she just is or some bullshit like that
Abrams IS smart.

Fight me.

But in terms of Rey, it's super amusing to me that...
of all the aspects of The Force Awakens that Rian Johnson doubles down on it's Rey being overpowered. Snoke, Knights of Ren, Rey's parents? He burns those to the ground with GLEE.

But Rey?

Like, everyone complained about Rey fighting Kylo Ren in the forest fight. And, hilariously, two days later she's practically neck and neck with Ren (that's a pun) and people couldn't care less. I think that says a lot about how invested people are in Rey in this movie (in a bad way). I also hate the phrase Mary Sue, it's gendered and bad, but if Rey was a "Mary Sue" in The Force Awakens, I don't even know what you'd call her after The Last Jedi.

Frankly is why I wanted to see her struggle, fail, and fight more than she had to in Last Jedi. Still love Rey's arc since it's way more about what she's feeling inside her than her force abilities. Really a metaphor in this case for accepting adulthood.

-Vader

Rey probably just has an insanely high Midi-chlorian count. :lol:

Vader182 wrote:

Abrams IS smart.

Fight me.

of all the aspects of The Force Awakens that Rian Johnson doubles down on it's Rey being overpowered. Snoke, Knights of Ren, Rey's parents? He burns those to the ground with GLEE.

But Rey?

Like, everyone complained about Rey fighting Kylo Ren in the forest fight. And, hilariously, two days later she's practically neck and neck with Ren (that's a pun) and people couldn't care less. I think that says a lot about how invested people are in Rey in this movie (in a bad way). I also hate the phrase Mary Sue, it's gendered and bad, but if Rey was a "Mary Sue" in The Force Awakens, I don't even know what you'd call her after The Last Jedi.

Frankly is why I wanted to see her struggle, fail, and fight more than she had to in Last Jedi. Still love Rey's arc since it's way more about what she's feeling inside her than her force abilities. Really a metaphor in this case for accepting adulthood.

-Vader
There are lines from Luke and Snoke that suggest the Force balances itself and thrusts champions onto the galactic stage as needs be which is largely what Lucas did.

Anakin leaves Tattooine; Palpatine ascends.

Palpatine creates Empire, Luke and Leia are born.

Death Star completed and Senate disbanded, Luke leaves Tattooine.

Hosnian cataclysm, Rey connects to the Force.

Finally saw it today. I feel like rating it a 7.5/10? I dunno, I feel like i need to watch it again.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

Abrams IS smart.

Fight me.

But Rey?

-Vader
There are lines from Luke and Snoke that suggest the Force balances itself and thrusts champions onto the galactic stage as needs be which is largely what Lucas did.

Anakin leaves Tattooine; Palpatine ascends.

Palpatine creates Empire, Luke and Leia are born.

Death Star completed and Senate disbanded, Luke leaves Tattooine.

Hosnian cataclysm, Rey connects to the Force.
Ya but some things flow better than others.

I'm going to give my two cents:
PLOT
The Empire, I mean the First Order, attacks the base of the Rebellion, I mean the Resistance, and then begins to pursue the heroes who must split up.

PROS
While the outline contains some similarities to Empire and the Return of the Jedi, the Last Jedi flips them on its head and creates something new, moving us past The Force Awakens in a bold direction.

Kylo, ​​Luke and Poe have the most interesting storylines and character arcs. Especially Kylo and Luke - if TFA was about Rey, this movie is about them. They're broken and put back together to be broken again...

The twists are really shocking: big plans that go don't pan out, playing with viewers' expectations, and creating something better than all these fan theories we had had before the film came out. Snoke, Phasma, Rey' parents and Kylo - I buy it all!

Incredible sequences (not just action). The attack on Snoke's ship, Crait showdown and the Throne Room 2.0 especially stand out.

The tone is balanced better. The jokes are abundand but not intrusive at all, and when they appear they are really well done.

Canto Bight expands the SW lore, adds Rose and its pacifist approach, adds potential for new films, and presents a very interesting and fresh perspective on the galactic war. It is also a pleasant reference to the prequels.

Music, even though it still does not hold a candle to the old movies, is better than 99% of what we get today. And visually this is the most beautiful part since Empire Strikes Back.

CONS
The message is not always consistent: valuing life is what's most important, but the ultimate sacrifice of two characters is what ultimately rescues the Resistance.

Rey becomes a secondary character, being only our window on the development of Luke and Kylo. She just shows up at the end without any weight of what had ust happened to her moments before.

Small logical slips (mainly with Holdo and Poe's respective plans)

Uhhhm ... The "horses" in Canto Bight were unnecessary?

OVERALL
The film takes the Disney trilogy to a new, higher level and plays with the expectations of the audience in a wonderful way. It surprises with its plot, delights visually and gives us a lot of topics to talk about. What more could you want!

RATING
9.5/10

What's the consensus on Porgs?

Allstar wrote:What's the consensus on Porgs?
i love them, don't care about others opinions. they're so cute