Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Tell that to Claudio Miranda.

Point being, it’s not always as easy, and especially with these two, who are literally working buddies since college.

Anyway, this is more important now:

Based Kojima wrote a column on TLJ:

In 1977, George Lucas revolutionized not only film but the entire entertainment industry with Star Wars.

But, 40 years later, Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) isn't a revolution. A revolution is when the oppressed overthrow the oppressor, the old are replaced by the new, giving rise to new countries and concepts. The Last Jedi doesn't change the boundaries established by Star Wars in its story, expression (technique and design) nor how its business operates.

However, rather than this being something negative about the film, it is proof that The Last Jedi is indeed the right kind of Star Wars for the 21st century.
More here:

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/fea ... ey-w514793

m4st4 wrote:Tell that to Claudio Miranda.

Point being, it’s not always as easy, and especially with these two, who are literally working buddies since college.
A Director can leave some compositional responsibilities to a DP. A lot of Directors have very specific shot ideas that they want, and then they work with their DP to "fill in the gaps" of the rest of the scene. Everyone's working relationship is different, but the "standard protocol" is that a DP asks a Director where they want the camera, not the other way around. And at the end of the day, if a shot doesn't work compositionally, it's the Director's fault. It'd be the DP's fault if the lighting didn't work.

Passed one billion mark on the last day of 2017, gg.

Saw this for the second time yesterday. Love the whole sequence on Crait so much, from the flying red salt to the awesome shots of the walkers from the ground view of the characters. Also, anything Luke-related was great to me. This is really his movie as much as anyone else's.

I hope Kylo doesn't bring back the helmet. I thought he was more compelling without it. I understand the whole Vader fanboying on his part, but I think by ditching the helmet he made a statement that he's ready to be his own man.

Still shamelessly love those porgs. That shot of the last one in the beach scene with Chewie is both adorable and hilarious.

Saw this the weekend it came out but I hadn't posted my thoughts. One, because I was awfully busy over the holidays and couldn't spend that much time online. Second, because the film left me feeling really conflicted.

It seems as though, from the vibe of the internet, you either love or you hate The Last Jedi. I'm in the middle. I didn't love or hate it, instead, it just left me feeling "eh."

There's good points and there's bad points. There are parts that made me giddy, parts that made me gasp. But there were also parts that made me groan, that made me bored, that made me confused. It's a mixed bag of emotions for a mixed bag of a film. Such a mixed script, plagued by unneeded sequences, wasted characters, and packed with something of an idiot plot filled with plot holes. It really needed some rewrites or an additional writer to oversee it before going into production.

Contrary to what some say, I didn't mind the direction they took Luke's character. In fact, the stuff with him and Rey was on the whole the best arc of the film. The rest though could have been great if they were trimmed and executed properly, but they weren't. The film is full of concepts with potential, but more often than not they miss their mark.

I don't hate it, but man, I should not have been so bored by a Rian Johnson directed Star Wars film. It's been the only disappointment in what was otherwise an absolutely stellar year in films for me. I can see some aspects of the film possibly improving depending on where they take Episode IX (or even straight up worsening), but on its own, the film is a 6/10. And that's a very hesitant 6.

I'm darthnazgul, I never thought I'd say a Star Wars film was "eh."

open question was del toro the mvp yes or yes?

no mark lewis jones

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:open question was del toro the mvp yes or yes?
no, but he can come back in next film.

darthnazgul wrote:Saw this the weekend it came out but I hadn't posted my thoughts. One, because I was awfully busy over the holidays and couldn't spend that much time online. Second, because the film left me feeling really conflicted.

It seems as though, from the vibe of the internet, you either love or you hate The Last Jedi. I'm in the middle. I didn't love or hate it, instead, it just left me feeling "eh."

There's good points and there's bad points. There are parts that made me giddy, parts that made me gasp. But there were also parts that made me groan, that made me bored, that made me confused. It's a mixed bag of emotions for a mixed bag of a film. Such a mixed script, plagued by unneeded sequences, wasted characters, and packed with something of an idiot plot filled with plot holes. It really needed some rewrites or an additional writer to oversee it before going into production.

Contrary to what some say, I didn't mind the direction they took Luke's character. In fact, the stuff with him and Rey was on the whole the best arc of the film. The rest though could have been great if they were trimmed and executed properly, but they weren't. The film is full of concepts with potential, but more often than not they miss their mark.

I don't hate it, but man, I should not have been so bored by a Rian Johnson directed Star Wars film. It's been the only disappointment in what was otherwise an absolutely stellar year in films for me. I can see some aspects of the film possibly improving depending on where they take Episode IX (or even straight up worsening), but on its own, the film is a 6/10. And that's a very hesitant 6.

I'm darthnazgul, I never thought I'd say a Star Wars film was "eh."
This is the first time I have fully agreed to one of your posts on NF.