Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:I've always took "cinematic" to basically mean "of or relating to cinema/film/movies". Further reclassifying it seems pointless to me.
Because it is. Don't let the snobbery fool you. People like to portray themselves as smarter or more in depth than they actually are.

Rian Johnson interview from January 2013
Pretty much every director that recently did a sci-fi movie has been considered by fans and critics as a possibility for helming the upcoming Star Wars Episode 7. What are the chances for Looper director Rian Johnson to be involved with Star Wars? Read what he had to say after the break.

"I don't think I'm on those sorts of lists," Johnson said. "On the one hand, it's Star Wars, it would be very hard to say no to.
http://www.starwars7news.com/2013/01/ri ... -wars.html

:lol:

Ruth wrote:dude. some people care more about cinema than you'll ever be able to imagine
Marry me. Please.

Sorry about the double post, but today at work (with no knowledge that they had hired a director for Episode VIII) I daydreamed about how cool it'd be if I could direct VIII or IX or one of the spinoffs. I have directed sci-fi in the past actually.

Vader182 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:I've always took "cinematic" to basically mean "of or relating to cinema/film/movies". Further reclassifying it seems pointless to me.
Arbitrarily limiting language is equally as pointless by that logic. Language is limitless.

-Vader
Obviously, but I'm not referring to the language as much as I'm referring to this unnecessarily objective categorization of films. If anything, it's that concept that seems arbitrary.

Saying a film is "not cinematic" just sounds comical.

I think it's really not fair to judge him only with one film, yeah it's completely different stuff compared to SW (loved it btw), but we have no idea how he can direct lighter adventurous material. He's a visionary writer/director, give him a shot at least.
I'm so happy he has full control on the script :D

And see Brick, I loved it, a tremendous first film, was disappointed by Brothers Bloom though

I see this conversation and

I think people are overlooking the fact that Kathleen Kennedy is one of the smartest people in Hollywood. She didn't pick Rian Johnson's name out of a hat. She probably had many discussions/meetings with this guy before she ever even thought about handing over the reigns of one of the biggest franchises in the history of cinema.

Just... have faith in her. And Rian Johnson.

I loved Looper, but kinda agree with Vader. I don't know how to explain it properly, but Rian Johnson just doesn't scream "Star Wars" to me - At least at first sight. I hope to eat crow given the time, though.