Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Hollywood Reporter - 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Sets Director

The Force must be strong with Rian Johnson.

The Looper director is in talks with Lucasfilm to direct the next Star Wars film, Episode VIII, according to sources.

Sources say he will not direct the third film, Episode IX, but he is writing a treatment.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ets-713726
The Wrap - Rian Johnson to Write and Direct ‘Star Wars’ 8 — But Not 9
The director of “Brick” and “Looper” will write the treatment for the ninth film

Rian Johnson will write and direct the eighth “Star Wars” movie, inheriting the franchise from J.J. Abrams, according to two individuals with knowledge of the director's plans. Johnson will also write the treatment for the ninth movie, but he will not direct it.

Deadline Hollywood first reported that Johnson would write and direct the ninth movie, but both sources insist Johnson will only write the treatment.
http://www.thewrap.com/rian-johnson-to- ... but-not-9/
Variety - ‘Star Wars’: Rian Johnson to Write, Direct Episode VIII

While production just began on “Star Wars: Episode VII,” Disney and LucasFilm are already focusing on Episode VIII. Sources tell Variety that “Looper” director Rian Johnson is in talks to write and direct the next film in the popular series.

J.J. Abrams is currently directing the next “Star Wars,” which is filming in London, and it’s unknown what part he would play in the next two films since Bad Robot is a producer but Disney obviously wanted a fresh voice who could concentrate on the franchise for the next several years.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/rian- ... 201226481/
Deadline - ‘Star Wars’ Bombshell! Rian Johnson To Write, Direct Next Two Films

EXCLUSIVE: Rarely have I seen the revival of a film franchise stir so much fervor as Star Wars, among hot young filmmakers who grew up loving George Lucas’ original film trilogy. In a bombshell move, I’m told that Lucasfilm is making a deal with Looper writer-director Rian Johnson to write and direct Star Wars Episodes VIII and IX. Essentially, that means that the intention is for Johnson to take the baton from JJ Abrams, who has gotten the space franchise off the ground and is right now helming Episode VII. I don’t know too much more at this point, but it is in keeping with Disney and Lucasfilm’s strategy of entrusting the venerable franchise to the best and brightest writers and directors, including the spinoff films that are being directed by Chronicle‘s Josh Trank and Godzilla‘s Gareth Edwards.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/star-wa ... wo-movies/
Last edited by MagnarTheGreat on June 20th, 2014, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HELL. YES.

great choice

Brick was all right I guess.

I don't like Breaking Bad. Seeing the early episodes turned me off at the concept and that was it for me.
Last edited by MagnarTheGreat on June 20th, 2014, 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

While I like the news (four very capable directors already in Disney's pocket!) - how come J.J. isn't back for more? Was it his decision or Disney's? :think:

HOLY SHIT YES

but what's up with Abrams?

WAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!?

Well....this....was....unexpected!

I thought J.J will direct VII, VIII and IX. At least VII.......

Well I like Looper and Rian Johnson is great. I still don't know if he's able to handle such big franchise as Star Wars.

Keep in mind, all of the OT flms were directed by different people, and that gave us Empire. I'm totally down for this.
The only way this could get better is if they gave Blomkamp a spinoff.

Rian Johnson seems like a very good and appropriate choice. It's nice to see young and promising directors dealing with the Star Wars legacy. I keep my fingers crossed for the final result.

Bad move.

-Vader