Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 3:20 pm
Ok, again. I said ‘why are you constantly posting things about yourself everybody is well aware of for quite some time’.
Because I just might feel like doing so in the moment?

Because in this particular instance I might want to discuss why so many people consider it necessary to factor these numbers into the discussion of the quality of a film or see them as an indicator of quality (or lack thereof)? A film that everybody has seen like TLJ might be a good context in which to raise this topic. It was not intended as a direct response to the link itself because those numbers do not say anything in and of themselves about how they are being interpreted by the audience that watches the film.

I am very glad that Virgo brought the box office numbers to our attention because it enabled me to approach the subject within a concrete context. It would seem rather odd if I approached the topic out of the blue with no ties to anything in the thread. You in fact might actually ask me why I would bring up such a topic out of nowhere.

It is not so much a presentation of my own views (although yes, it is also that and though you yourself might have discussed this topic with me already, others might not have done so) so much as an attempt to bring up the subject and learn what other people think about the value of box office numbers in the discussion and analysis of the quality of films, especially big budget ones.

Talking to you is like entering a Paris-Dakar race every single time.

Skyab23 wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 10:48 am
Vader182 wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 12:02 am
Yeah, great post man. One thing you won't hear me complaining about with The Last Jedi is all of the points you touch on. Rian does this thing where he celebrates the mythology and 7 movie narrative and takes the text more literally than any previous filmmaker has in the Star Wars universe and makes that the engine of his movie. It's great.

-Vader
Vader, did you ever rate Last Jedi?
nope

after 4 viewings, don't know what I'd rate it lol

-Vader

It’s a seven, isn’t it.

Sounds like a seven/ten to me

‘The chauvinist cut‘, great. The sort of mouth-breathers that call themselves humans, pitiful.

Lol if they did an edit of those guy's lives without women it'd be the exact same time as it is already.