Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 12:37 am
so regarding the posts above, I guess Rey is just
a randomly selected balance of light against the darkness of Kylo?

cuz I like that idea better than her being Luke's daughter or whatever

neet
did you only realize this now cil lol

-Vader

no I assumed that in TFA, I just haven't discussed it here

ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:24 am
In addition to what you've said I think there's also complete legitimacy to taking what is literally in the text and running with that regardless of a nebulous intent behind it.
What's in the text is, that they are never coming back, which could mean many things, like they have abandoned her for an important reason maybe for her own sake, or they are dead, etc. It has nothing to do with whether they were relevant people or not.

So maybe Abrams actually intended the same thing as Rian after all, but it's in no way addressed or hinted at in Awakens.£

interesting

that moment in TLJ when
Kylo "reveals" that Rey's parents are "nobody" didn't hit me as hard. I guess it's because I got the impression it was really played up in TFA, it was barely mentioned in TLJ, until the throne room scene. A big part of Rey's identity in TFA is defined by her waiting for her parents to come back. Part of that feels stripped away in TLJ.

Like, if Rey had still been thinking or reflecting on her parents throughout the first few acts, Kylo's comment would have felt like a bag of bricks.

Otherwise, it just feels like an off-hand insult by Kylo instead of a real revelation. I suppose that's more down to how Rian doesn't manage to sell it as well.

idk, 2 cents

Cilogy wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:45 pm
interesting

that moment in TLJ when
Kylo "reveals" that Rey's parents are "nobody" didn't hit me as hard. I guess it's because I got the impression it was really played up in TFA, it was barely mentioned in TLJ, until the throne room scene. A big part of Rey's identity in TFA is defined by her waiting for her parents to come back. Part of that feels stripped away in TLJ.

Like, if Rey had still been thinking or reflecting on her parents throughout the first few acts
, Kylo's comment would have felt like a bag of bricks.

Otherwise, it just feels like an off-hand insult by Kylo instead of a real revelation. I suppose that's more down to how Rian doesn't manage to sell it as well.

idk, 2 cents
But she does. That's why she is drawn to the mirror cave. It wants to give her answers and it does, except she doesn't quite understand it, or the idea disturbs her so much, that she decides to close her mind to it all together.£

Master Virgo wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:19 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:24 am
In addition to what you've said I think there's also complete legitimacy to taking what is literally in the text and running with that regardless of a nebulous intent behind it.
What's in the text is, that they are never coming back, which could mean many things, like they have abandoned her for an important reason maybe for her own sake, or they are dead, etc. It has nothing to do with whether they were relevant people or not.

So maybe Abrams actually intended the same thing as Rian after all, but it's in no way addressed or hinted at in Awakens.£
Rewatch the full Maz scene. She tells Rey to completely forget about her parents, that she already knows the truth they're never coming back (and their identity), and to move on with her life towards Luke.

If her dad was, say, Wedge, or plain old Resistance heroes like Poe's parents in the books, or Luke, or if they were sorta older Jedi in Luke's training temple, what Maz said wouldn't make sense.

not to mention, again, JJ's comments at the time clearly point to this as the intent, dunno how you can argue otherwise

-Vader

The context there, was that Maz was discouraging Rey to go back to Jakku and wait for her family to return there, instead of moving forward with what fate was driving her towards. Nobody was ever going to come back for her. That's all that sentence ever implied, which is why we were all still understandably speculating about Rey's parentage after Awakens, and which is why one of you and some others' main criticism of Jedi has always been about Rey not being shocked long enough after the reveal.

Again I was merely replying to Armand about giving preference to what's in the text, compared to whatever was probably the intention. We can never know for sure if Abrams was spoiling his own film in that interview, or simply suggesting more options for people to speculate about, unless of course they reveal it at some point.£

yeeah we'll never know in like, the post-modern sense truth an elastic construct forever out of human reach

but it's as clear as it can be. JJ was pulling a Nolan, embedding a revelation in plain sight he knew wouldn't register for people at the time. Same with his interviews.

It was a set up for a pay off down the road of the ST.

-Vader

Or Abrams already knew what's going to happen in The Last Jedi, and it was still not his own idea or intention, but sth he liked and approved of after talking to Johnson about it.£

Master Virgo wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 5:30 pm
Or Abrams already knew what's going to happen in The Last Jedi, and it was still not his own idea or intention, but sth he liked and approved of after talking to Johnson about it.£
I dunno, isn't this a probability game?

It's just plain more likely JJ's own movie's lines and JJ's own words in press (which sound very personal) are JJ's than the possibility he's changing one of the most important beats for Rian and then paying lip service.

-Vader