Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
wait what about Metacritic?

Vader182 wrote:Alienated the public? Sure, I hear TFA=ANH comparisons all day long but The Force Awakens has the best critical and audience praise of the 3 new Star Wars movies.

TFA made way more top ten lists and TLJ is currently sitting at a very low IMDB rating of 7.6/10. TLJ didn't get so much as AFI's Top Ten. Again man, I love your passion with this stuff but don't confuse your personal feelings for The Last Jedi / The Force Awakens with what's in front of us. There's a ton of film critics, bloggers, and fans that all think TFA is the 3rd best Star Wars movie and a really great Star Wars movie. Again, I totally understand why someone would pick The Last Jedi above The Force Awakens, but I also totally get why The Force Awakens would be placed above The Last Jedi? As for me, I need 6 months to let the dust settle.

-Vader
It’s just that I acknowledge everything TFA is but I’m not passionate about it as I am with TLJ because... I don’t know. Don’t care as much. Doesn’t it tell you something about what I’m trying to say in regards to TFA? It didn’t inspire that much in people, merely set the stage. It clearly did in you, and I’m sure many people, but I wouldn’t say that emotion is prevalent when you ask around... say here?

Cilogy, metacritic isn’t g.a.?

Cilogy wrote:wait what about Metacritic?
IMDB it's the best we have by far. The sample size is gigantic.

The Force Awakens has a staggering 712,000 votes. The rating started out around 8.8 and dropped to a very sturdy respectable 8.1. With 380,000 votes, Rogue One started at 8.4ish and has settled around 7.8. With 213,000 votes The Last Jedi is already at 7.6. Expect it to drop a lot more.

In contrast, Metacritic's user score is only comprised of 5,000 people. Garbage sample size. And FYI TFA did way way way better on Metacritic their too 6.9 vs 4.7. User Ratings Reddit's r/movies ratings get a good sample size too overall, around 50,000 people, but most reddit users are dudes in their teens to early 20s. They're, uh, a pretty "particular" type of demographic. And FYI #2, TFA scored notably higher on Reddit than TLJ too.

IMDB has a ...decently... diverse set of folks and a LOT of them.
m4st4 wrote: It’s just that I acknowledge everything TFA is but I’m not passionate about it as I am with TLJ because... I don’t know. Don’t care as much. Doesn’t it tell you something about what I’m trying to say in regards to TFA? It didn’t inspire that much in people, merely set the stage. It clearly did in you, and I’m sure many people, but I wouldn’t say that emotion is prevalent when you ask around... say here? [/i]

ALSO, let me point out that The Force Awakens is #15 on Critics Top Ten Lists. .....The Last Jedi is #24.

Tells you a lot about "passion."

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on December 27th, 2017, 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

all cards on the table, I had no idea how metacritic works lol

dude I just come here, get drunk on red wine, make fun of people, and occasionally watch a movie, don’t have much to live for anymore

Vader, TLJ g.a. backlash tells me everything about passion yes. When a man made piece plays against the rules it takes some time before everybody catches up so to speak, especially within fandoms. I don’t go to IMDb for opinions, or ratings, simply because it’s a place where anybody can troll rate either 1 or 10. But I have issues with school questionaires as well so take it as you like. You point out the 0.7 difference in score or whatever and I’ll still be: yeah, but my opinion means world to me, that’s just how I operate. If TLJ was as niche as BR2049 or Mad Max:FR it would probably have a similar b.o. reception. Why? Because it has that punk attitude, not everybody’s taste. TFA, similar to Avatar (2009), pushes just the right buttons to make you feel excited for the next entry.

Hey man, you're the one who said TFA alienated by "the public."

It's not really fair to make sweeping generalizations then turn around and try to discredit the best sources of that kind of generalizing. Law of large numbers and all that.

-Vader

It might take some years but TLJ online scores will... go up. I think we have an Empire Strikes Back on our hands. It wasn't as beloved by the public as Star Wars when it came out and now it's considered by most people, as the best one in the series.

Vader182 wrote:Hey man, you're the one who said TFA alienated by "the public."

It's not really fair to make sweeping generalizations then turn around and try to discredit the best sources of that kind of generalizing. Law of large numbers and all that.

-Vader
Alienated was a very poor choice of words, let’s not dwell on it.

And IMDb = Sweeping generalization generator?

Having seen it twice now, 9/10.

One area I haven't seen discussed is the sound design. The star wars films, more than any other films by far, have always made me appreciate the work done in this area. However, nothing really grabbed me in this film, which I thought was strange as I believed Ben Burtt was still on top form with TFA. So I wondered if he even worked on this, and after a quick search, I can't actually see if he was. Does anyone here know if he was involved with The Last Jedi? And any other thoughts on the sound of this film?

I did enjoy this TLJ though. I always appreciate the addition of moral ambiguity and grey areas etc. in blockbusters. I liked the direction of most of the characters, the acting, set pieces and the general subversiveness in context to the previous films. As for complaints, I can only echo the same opinions of the plot conveniences and the pacing/editing.

If I can rate, I'd put down 8.2. If not, for being a noob, then just ignore me :P