Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
A enjoyable, charismatic,sentimental ,eccentric mess .
I am simultaneously admiring of it and generally fascinated by it.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
1. Kylo is probably entitled to go off the deep end at the sight of his old master who tried to murder him.

2. I do like that Hux sees through it. I love where Johnson took Hux, he's become the funniest and potentially most dangerous character in the new trilogy.

3. The last sequence is the entire point of the movie, tho

4. Phasma's inclusion is important to assert Finn's allegiance - his motives at the start of his arc are to save Rey, by the end it's the ideal of the Resistance/Rebels. Phasma is a perfectly acceptable enabler, and it's a spectacular mano-y-mano, albiet brief sequence. The film needed one somewhere.
1. oh yeah, sure. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just wrote what I was thinking throughout the film. And I totally agree with you on the different perspective thing from your last post - something that came to my mind as well. I would've loved to find out how certain characters would've reacted towards each other had they experienced some of the events through others' "eyes" as well.

2. What do you mean by "sees through it"? That he's a bit snakelike? I've seen people mention they want him gone, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing him not die early into IX

3. Yeah, maybe. But I'm just not sure I like it anyway lol. Subjective.

4. Not disagreeing here again - why I mentioned she's important to Finn. Her character just didn't really do anything for me TLJ, I'd guess? It's like I'd already forgotten she even existed (on my 2nd viewing) before she appeared on screen to confront Finn lol.

so I guess Phasma is the new Fett

like, people think the character has more depth than it actually does even though it's really a plot device, and they're disappointed when it's not given depth

Ruth wrote:
1. oh yeah, sure. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just wrote what I was thinking throughout the film. And I totally agree with you on the different perspective thing from your last post - something that came to my mind as well. I would've loved to find out how certain characters would've reacted towards each other had they experienced some of the events through others' "eyes" as well.

2. What do you mean by "sees through it"? That he's a bit snakelike? I've seen people mention they want him gone, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing him not die early into IX

3. Yeah, maybe. But I'm just not sure I like it anyway lol. Subjective.

4. Not disagreeing here again - why I mentioned she's important to Finn. Her character just didn't really do anything for me TLJ, I'd guess? It's like I'd already forgotten she even existed (on my 2nd viewing) before she appeared on screen to confront Finn lol.
RE: Hux I guess I missed the middle part of the sentence there - he sees through Luke's deception and urges Kylo to press on. Rightly so.

I'd like Abrams to do something off the wall with the character in the next film, like make him obsessed with trying to tap into the Force and probably actively plot Kylo's death. I mean, this is the guy who has the highest death toll on his hands in the saga. Now that he's been transformed from Tarkin into UberPiett, and he gets that final close-up, you gotta deliver.

Cilogy wrote:so I guess Phasma is the new Fett

like, people think the character has more depth than it actually does even though it's really a plot device, and they're disappointed when it's not given depth
Yeah but Fett was cool and badass.

my point exactly

Fett doesn't really do much except track the Falcon, and then get swallowed up by a hole in the ground, and yet people talk about him like he's an action star

Hell, Phasma actually does more than Fett did in the films and people are still complaining.

Cilogy wrote:my point exactly

Fett doesn't really do much except track the Falcon, and then get swallowed up by a hole in the ground, and yet people talk about him like he's an action star

Hell, Phasma actually does more than Fett did in the films and people are still complaining.
Fett boxes Luke into Vader's trap

Came back from the screening a couple of hours ago, had to read stuff and process the movie. I don't know what I could possibly add to the discussion at the moment though lol. Please put me down for a 9.5/10.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Cilogy wrote:my point exactly

Fett boxes Luke into Vader's trap
Yeah what a badass.

What sold Fett was design, first and foremost. Joe Johnston did good.

But Jango>>>Boba, it is known. Purely because he has more to do, and what he does is badass. One of my favorite non-saber fights. Uncivilised, yes, but cool.