Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
By the way, I noticed "characters waking up suddenly" is kind of a theme in this film. As far as I can remember, Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo all do it.

Master Virgo wrote:Second Friday had a 76.4% drop from the opening Friday, compared to 58.6% for Awakens and 67.8% for Rogue One. I would be very surprised if Disney suits are not seriously upset by these results.£
I don't think they would be upset at all. TLJ will still get to $700-800 domestically and 1.7-1.8 WW. They had to expect TLJ wasn't going to do TFA numbers but still have a great run.

bootsy wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:Second Friday had a 76.4% drop from the opening Friday, compared to 58.6% for Awakens and 67.8% for Rogue One. I would be very surprised if Disney suits are not seriously upset by these results.£
I don't think they would be upset at all. TLJ will still get to $700-800 domestically and 1.7-1.8 WW. They had to expect TLJ wasn't going to do TFA numbers but still have a great run.
Based on the drops throughout the week and this huge second weekend drop, the estimates have been reduced to a more conservative $600 million and $1.3-1.5 billion WW range.

anarchy wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Based on the drops throughout the week and this huge second weekend drop, the estimates have been reduced to a more conservative $600 million and $1.3-1.5 billion WW range.
So, in the range of the highest grossing Marvel film, which is the highest grossing film franchise.

Disney must be raging.

Crazy Eight wrote:So, in the range of the highest grossing Marvel film, which is the highest grossing film franchise.

Disney must be raging.
Wooooooooow.£

Master Virgo wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:So, in the range of the highest grossing Marvel film, which is the highest grossing film franchise.

Disney must be raging.
Wooooooooow.£

Master Virgo wrote:

Disney must be raging.
Wooooooooow.£

It's hard to say since apples to apples to Force Awakens isn't a fair evaluation of The Last Jedi. I think it's more "oh, our challenging risky movie we already knew wouldn't make nearly as much as TFA isn't doing quite as well as we hoped."

Analysis:

For one thing, Force Awakens and Rogue One (and Solo) each had very expensive reshoots. Supposedly Force Awakens came to around 300m and Rogue One around 265m (thanks Keegs for these numbers). God only knows what Solo cost. They basically did principle photography...twice. The Last Jedi came in on or under budget and finished 4 months early.

Last Jedi is also a measured risk. It's self-evidently subversive and Disney has the best guys working on B.O. projections, and they had to know 2 years ago that The Last Jedi was going to divide audiences. That's simply in the DNA of the movie. There's a reason its reception is so similar to Empire.

That's not to say Disney wasn't expecting higher numbers. They probably were. But "fuck this isn't The Force Awakens, it's a huge let down" is a big difference from "TLJ is underperforming but we knew it'd be in this ballpark." Also, it's still making fucking crazy cash lol.

Relevant:

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on December 23rd, 2017, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader182 wrote:
It's hard to say since apples to apples to Force Awakens isn't a fair evaluation of The Last Jedi. I think it's more "oh, our challenging risky movie we already knew wouldn't make nearly as much as TFA isn't doing quite as well as we hoped."

Analysis:

For one thing, Force Awakens and Rogue One (and Solo) each had very expensive reshoots. Supposedly Force Awakens came to around 300m and Rogue One around 265m (thanks Keegs for these numbers). God only knows what Solo cost. They basically did principle photography...twice. The Last Jedi came in on or under budget and finished 4 months early.

Last Jedi is also a measured risk. It's self-evidently subversive and Disney has the best guys working on B.O. projections, and they had to know 2 years ago that The Last Jedi was going to divide audiences. That's simply in the DNA of the movie. There's a reason its reception is so similar to Empire.

That's not to say Disney wasn't expecting higher numbers. They probably were. But "fuck this isn't The Force Awakens, it's a huge let down" is a big difference from "TLJ is underperforming but we knew it'd be in this ballpark." Also, it's still making fucking crazy cash lol.

-Vader
I think Disney is more in line with this thinking. I just can't see that they could envision for sure that TLJ would outperform or come close to TFA. Of course they were hopeful but probably knew once they saw the audience scores that it wasn't going to get there so they are just happy for it to put up $600-700 domestic numbers and go from there. TFA was such a powerful blast because it was coming after the prequels which let everyone down and the fact that it mirrored A New Hope which brought in new and old fans. It benefitted from being the first after the prequels and being a good well received movie. TLJ didn't.

Obviously nobody really expected The Last Jedi to make as much as Awakens, but the problem is not that. If the film had opened up with lower numbers, but had a reasonable drop in the second weekend it wouldn't be this much problematic.

But it had an opening not far from Awakens. The level of excitement hadn't declined considerably unlike what many believed.

It's not about the amount of money Disney will earn from this. The legs will show the audience's level of satisfaction with the film and a sharp contrast with Awakens in that regard will certainly raise eyebrows. Then subsequently the question will be asked about whether this entry in the franchise has ultimately hurt the brand to some degree.£