Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Hey Blair welcome to January I hope 2016 was dope for you

Crazy Eight wrote:Hey Blair welcome to January I hope 2016 was dope for you
Don't get me started on 2016...

All that speculation about who the title of this film refers to and it turns out it was in the title card of TFA all along.

Batfan175 wrote:All that speculation about who the title of this film refers to and it turns out it was in the title card of TFA all along.
YEAH IT'S ALMOST LIKE RIAN JOHNSON POINTED THIS OUT MONTHS AGO

could be plural too

In other languages the title is clearly plural, yes.

MagnarTheGreat wrote:Yahoo! - 'The Last Jedi' director Rian Johnson on Carrie Fisher, his spoiler 'no-fly list,' and fear of a porg backlash (exclusive) https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/las ... 27278.html
“She was so conscious of the place that Leia had, not just broadly in the culture, but very specifically in terms of girls who grew up watching Star Wars when Leia was the only female hero on the screen,” Johnson says. “She really wanted to do right by that, drawing the character forward. That was something that she would always be pulling us back to. And for me it was fantastic, because besides all the other benefits of having a fantastic writer like Carrie there by my side while we’re making this movie, just having a voice that was like a compass needle that would always pull it back in the right direction of, This is what this character means and this is what we always have to make sure that she’s serving, with her strength and also with her weaknesses — showing a fully realized character who is going to be inspiring to the folks who grew up with Leia.
Good. What about Luke?

I fear the new trilogy will completely fuck up Luke in that department. Whether it's too much "clever" twists or pandering to the female demographic, they seem to make Luke into an uncharacteristically cowardly failure. If you're a fan of Luke you might be pissed at the end of this trilogy.

Then again, he might be the badass everybody wants him to be in the climax that saves the day. I'm just speculating but I just don't think that's likely with the trajectory they've taken.

I'm loving everything I'm seeing of Luke so far; an old hermit who ran away from his problems is something I can relate to. It's interesting that they've taken him in the direction of somebody who's lost faith in the Force and is unwilling to train Rey. I'm very curious to see how she convinces him to train her. He's gone from wanting to go to Tosche station to "I don't wanna hang out with anybody because guilt." I do however hope grumpy Luke finds a way to reconcile himself emotionally and be the Jedi the galaxy needs him to be.