Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Pakistan is not in the Middle East.

Check your priv, Crazy.

Cilogy wrote:Pakistan is not in the Middle East.

Check your priv, Crazy.
God damn it how did I get through 4 years of college in PORTLAND OREGON without getting my privilege checked when I'm this ignorant

lol
Scott Derrickson ‏@scottderrickson Jan 2
So loved Rogue One-my fave Star Wars since Empire. The diverse/outsider cast gave palpable integrated meaning to the idea of rebellious hope

Vader182 wrote:
LelekPL wrote:I'm not telling them to feel different... I just fail to understand why they feel different? Why does it matter?
Allstar wrote:(now imagine a Mexican who has literally never seen one in a leading role in a major movie feels)
That's the thing, I can't imagine it. I never saw a Polish guy in a lead role and yet it wouldn't have made any difference to me if I had.

So far, this call for "diversity" seems more "racist" to me than they're arguments that "leading white guys" are "racist".
If you don't understand why representation makes people feel good, you don't understand human beings.

-Vader
But a generic Polish guy doesn't represent me at all. He represents me as much as a Korean or Venezuelan guy would. As a human being, that's about it.

Now if Hollywood made a film about the life of Polish people in Poland and cast a Polish guy in it, maybe I'd feel more "represented" and interested in watching it due to my culture (then again, I can't even imagine how such a film would be any different in scale and scope than thousands of films made in my country already so I don't need Hollywood to make films about Polish people). Or maybe if they made an action character whose "Polishness" is important to the plot and well represented. But when we're talking about a generic action hero, what's the point of him being specifically Polish?

you need to try to imagine yourself as someone who isn't white and therefore doesn't have (practically total) representation in the media. racially (and as you said in your post even culturally) your stories are being told. how would you feel if that was taken away? and if it's still not clicking, you can hopefully at least agree that there are many different people on earth with different life experiences whose needs should be respected even if they're not the same as yours.

Like I said, I wouldn't care if all the characters I love were suddenly black or Asian. If Batman was black he'd still be my favorite character. However, if I'm going to be consistent, and I am, I also don't mind that they are all mostly white.

I guess what you're saying is that some other people feel the need to see generic characters of their own skin color on screen. I still don't get why but whatever. Let's go back to Star Wars.

LelekPL wrote:Like I said, I wouldn't care if all the characters I love were suddenly black or Asian. If Batman was black he'd still be my favorite character. However, if I'm going to be consistent, and I am, I also don't mind that they are all mostly white.

I guess what you're saying is that some other people feel the need to see generic characters of their own skin color on screen. I still don't get why but whatever. Let's go back to Star Wars.
It's not as much about being generic as it is about not having to be constantly defined by a superficial characteristic (like skin color) in most movies or TV. People have also likely become accustomed to seeing actors of their own skin color or cultural background as caricatures rather than real characters. If one sees that often enough it begins to feel like hailing from a certain background is a burden or a black mark. It makes the ridiculous and possibly offensive caricature the norm and not the exception.

Of course, I think there's something to be said about how diversity at the expense of like decent writing or story is pointless, but unless you have a movie made collectively by like Tumblr social justice warriors, I don't think that happens as much as people think it does.

Fair enough

So I finally saw this and I really liked it :angel: Which means all of yall petty fights are invalid now
jk :lol: it's obviously not a perfect movie by any means, but as it advanced, I found myself more and more immersed in it, and at the moment, that's enough for me