Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
What? I didn't and I'm not saying It's racist. I'm saying that calling for obligatory diversity seems more racist by comparison. Neither diversity nor white guys are actually racist but because you want a generic action hero to be a specific race so you can relate to him better feels more like it to me.

I think his point is that it's odd how someone who's Mexican (arbitrary example) would have a strong emotional reaction to seeing another Mexican person playing a mainstream character in a mainstream movie when said character either isn't particularly striking or special in any other way. Meaning, he's special because of his race, not because of him.

I kinda get how Mexican people might go for Cassian since he's the closest thing the movie has to a real character and he's front and center, but someone like Kumail Nanjiani getting choked up by Bohdi does absolutely boggle my mind.

Sigh.

Crazy Eight wrote:I think his point is that it's odd how someone who's Mexican (arbitrary example) would have a strong emotional reaction to seeing another Mexican person playing a mainstream character in a mainstream movie when said character either isn't particularly striking or special in any other way. Meaning, he's special because of his race, not because of him.

I kinda get how Mexican people might go for Cassian since he's the closest thing the movie has to a real character and he's front and center, but someone like Kumail Nanjiani getting choked up by Bohdi does absolutely boggle my mind.
maybe the fact that he'd get emotional over an insignificant character speaks to just how little representation indian people have.

LelekPL wrote:I'm not telling them to feel different... I just fail to understand why they feel different? Why does it matter?
Allstar wrote:(now imagine a Mexican who has literally never seen one in a leading role in a major movie feels)
That's the thing, I can't imagine it. I never saw a Polish guy in a lead role and yet it wouldn't have made any difference to me if I had.

So far, this call for "diversity" seems more "racist" to me than they're arguments that "leading white guys" are "racist".
If you don't understand why representation makes people feel good, you don't understand human beings.

-Vader

Crazy Eight wrote:I think his point is that it's odd how someone who's Mexican (arbitrary example) would have a strong emotional reaction to seeing another Mexican person playing a mainstream character in a mainstream movie when said character either isn't particularly striking or special in any other way. Meaning, he's special because of his race, not because of him.

Well, I think the concern for a lot of folks is that they're used to seeing people like them defined by their race, and it's nice to see a major character who isn't, but still seems like a reasonably developed character (jury's still out on that in general for Rogue One) who does cool shit or is important for the story.

Like, it's great to see a South Asian guy in a SW film and not be a terrorist or something.

Granted,
he still dies in an explosion lol

TWO posts in a row using common sense.... nice.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:

maybe the fact that he'd get emotional over an insignificant character speaks to just how little representation indian people have.
True but they're Middle Eastern not Indian lol

Crazy backed down for once because his bff Vader indirectly criticized his remarks. :lol:

Crazy Eight wrote:
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:

True but they're Middle Eastern not Indian lol