Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The title is officially Rogue One, not Star Wars: Rogue One.
http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one- ... isode-viii

'Star Wars' Spinoff Hires 'Godzilla' Director Gareth Edwards
Edwards is attached to direct one of the Star Wars spinoff films, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Due to the high level of secrecy surrounding the Star Wars development process, it is unclear which spinoff Edwards will tackle.

Speculation has focused on characters such as bounty hunter Boba Fett and Jedi master Yoda as those who might be getting their own movies. There are also rumors of a potential Han Solo origin story or at least something on the Solo clan, and untold adventures of Luke Skywalker.

STORY: How 'Star Wars' Director J.J. Abrams Kept the Cast Secret

Earlier in May, Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that there was a plan to make at least three spinoff movies that would be released in between the main installments.

It has been reported that Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are writing and producing the spinoffs.

The Star Wars project marks an amazing career trajectory for Edwards, who went from making a small creature feature for $500,000, 2010’s Monsters, to getting the assignment to take on Godzilla, a monster in need of a 21st century rehabilitation.

The mission was a success, with the Legendary/Warner Bros. movie overperforming when it opened last weekend, grossing $93.1 million. The movie also received strong critical reviews and plenty of fanboy love.

WME-repped Edwards is attached to direct Godzilla 2 and 3, but while story ideas exist, the Godzilla 2 project is still in early development and does not even have a script.

That frees up Edwards to be part of what is not only one of the biggest franchises in history, but also a project that is a dream for so many filmmakers who grew up loving and being inspired by the storied George Lucas universe.

Star Wars: Episode VII, with J.J. Abrams directing, just began production in Abu Dhabi. The film is set to hit theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... lla-706636

:shock: Atta boy.
Last edited by nolannolanchrischris on March 12th, 2015, 6:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

HELL YES.

This guy is going to be RICH.

Edwards fucking rises. :twothumbsup:

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm, said Edwards.

Gary Whittas screenwriting credits include 2010s The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth,is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards ... -film.html

I dislike this. I like Edwards a lot but I don't want money grabbing spin offs. It feels disingenuous.

In the right hands, Star Wars spinoffs can basically be high-budgeted feature equivalents to the EU. It's money grubbing from a studio pov, but it's also fan service. This is very good news.

-Vader

Was exited by this news until I saw the name of the screenwriter. Gary Whitta who wrote the screenplay for Book of Eli.
Hollywood does it again. Hires a screenwriter with shitty movies to his name. The same happened with Godzilla.
I really thought it was going to be great but all the faults came from the screenplay. Not going to get my hopes up again with knowing such a writer is involved.

MyCocaine wrote:Was exited by this news until I saw the name of the screenwriter. Gary Whitta who wrote the screenplay for Book of Eli.
Hollywood does it again. Hires a screenwriter with shitty movies to his name. The same happened with Godzilla.
I really thought it was going to be great but all the faults came from the screenplay. Not going to get my hopes up again with knowing such a writer is involved.
Just because a writer failed to make a good script once or twice, doesn't mean that will 'always' be the case.

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:Was exited by this news until I saw the name of the screenwriter. Gary Whitta who wrote the screenplay for Book of Eli.
Just because a writer failed to make a good script once or twice, doesn't mean that will 'always' be the case.
I checked him out on imdb and guess what?
He wrote the screenplay for After Earth. This has disaster written all over it.

But you have to admit, that a guy who has such shitty movies to his name is getting the chance to be part of a star wars film is pretty bizarre.