Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

:clap:

I watched this and... Idk it couldn't hold my attention. Like I gave zero fucks. Someone needed to be there with a hammer, and hit me every time I stopped paying attention. Maybe then I could have told you wtf happened during the film. I blame the film for my horrible attention span. Something was off.

The last 30 minutes were exciting tho! Lol

Gentler way to say that TFA is better than Rogue One. A video supporting the valid criticism nolanites have against Rogue One.

But be sure Allstar is here to tell you different. :lol:
Last edited by RIFA on April 30th, 2017, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIFA wrote:

Nevermind the incoherence of Rogue One on a scene to scene level. Most of what most characters do in the entire movie doesn't make sense. It's a genuine marvel that the third act of Rogue One is still an enthralling experience for me despite all these issues. Admittedly, it comes down to which virtues and sins matter most to you as a viewer. Both films are imperfect.

-Vader

Crazy Eight wrote:
RIFA wrote:
Quality gif usage and quality video.

The video chooses to ignore that the characters almost cross-over in terms of active to inactive and vice-versa from Act 1 to Act 3. Although Jyn's arc is missing that key portion where she's going from grieving and disbelief to attempting to atone for her father, she drives the action post-Jedha in parallel with Cassian. Rey conversely is locked in her refusal state from the midpoint until the final confrontation - her actions inbetween are fueled only by necessity and convenience rather than choice. Finn is the far more active plot driver.

Ultimately though the films are consciously going for different things stylistically and thematically. The R1 characters grapple with futility constantly (writ large in the Baze/Chirrut dynamic) - like the commenter on the Film Crit Hulk article says, there are zags when you might want zigs but it makes sense that there is an accumulation of ostensibly futile action since we're following the bog-standard B-team here rather than the super-duper heroes of awesomeness and excellence. I think that's where the ZDT influence has come home to roost as well, albeit manifest in a sort of Disney blockbuster form - characters pulling at threads with a conscious objective but it not working out. Of course, it works better in a 150 min work about actual things with preset contexts, it depends on whether you value the attempt at doing something different or not.

RIFA wrote:

Gentler way to say that TFA is better than Rogue One. A video supporting the valid criticism nolanites had against Rogue One.

But be sure Allstar is here to tell you different. :lol:
1. We never saw Aragorn's youth, we never saw Maximus' youth, we never saw what happened to William Wallace after he went with his uncle. What was the backstory of Han Solo and why did he need one? What kind of meaningless criticism is this?

2. Jyn being passive is such nonsense, I feel dumb to even address it.

3. You don't need from all the scenes in the script to move the plot forward or have consequences. Sometimes they are designated to develop characters. Tentacle scene is there to showcase how far Saw is willing to go. To show how much these people have been through. To make them look like real rebel fighters, instead of nice happy people who fight for justice in the most rightful manner and usually can only be found in fiction. What was the point of Batman beating the shit out of Joker when nothing came out of it?

4. Cassian decided to ignore his direct orders and not kill Galen, instead he went down there and risked his life to save Jyn. What an odd thing that Jyn didn't decide to kill him on the spot because of that, right?

5. Jyn needed the Rebellion if she wanted to fulfill her father's last wish. This is what matters to her instead of senselessly trying to find out who among the Rebellion's generals ordered the attacks and making an attempt to extract revenge from him and waste the precious time in the process. Wow, the lead character is actually a mature woman instead of a vengeful child. How very strange?£

ArmandFancypants wrote: Rey conversely is locked in her refusal state from the midpoint until the final confrontation - her actions inbetween are fueled only by necessity and convenience rather than choice. Finn is the far more active plot driver.
This is not correct and misunderstands narrative passivity. You speak of a "refusal state" as though that's the same as being an inactive protagonist. It's not. Rey is constantly a powerful agent of action; she makes a conscious decision to flee. She chooses to fight stormtroopers to protect BB-8. Once captured, she's anything but inactive. She has a force showdown with Kylo Ren where she totally turns the tables on him. And then she like, escapes. And once escaping—which she accomplished without anyone's help but her own—she bumps into her friends and they go save the day. Yes, internally Rey is embodying the "reluctant hero" archetype. But being a reluctant hero does not mean you aren't an active protagonist. Jyn, in contrast, just sort of passively goes along with everything that's thrown at her. The only times she makes major choices is when she goes out of her way to save a little girl and all the way in Act II when she tries to save her father. Rey constantly takes control of whatever situation she's in and gets herself out of it. Jyn does the complete opposite until the end of Act II/start of Act III.

-Vader

Berardinelli (3/4) -- (Really really liked the film)
MZS (3.5/4)
Roeper (3.5/4)
Kermode (4/5)

Stuckmann compared it to The Phantom Menace and said it has absolutely nothing underneath.

So which company do you people belong to? :trollface:

£