Elvis (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
radewart wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 2:29 pm
SR0205 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:21 am
radewart wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 2:51 am
According to twitter, Elvis is a racist, pedophile and this movie shouldn't be made.
Elvis most likely wasn't a racist. He just so happened to benefit from a racist society. The grooming of a 14 year old is problematic though.
I was just highlighting the views of the super "woke" Harry Style fans on twitter who don't want him taking the role. Elvis wasn't likely a racist but he did "borrow" heavily from black artist from the time. However, it's not his fault that mainstream society wouldn't play their music at first, and actually Elvis' popularity helped open the door for artist like James Brown, Little Richard, etc. to have more success with middle America. The stuff with Priscilla is a bit gross though.
Pretty much. Even Chuck D of Public Enemy regretted that verse about Elvis being a racist when that's really not what he meant. He was just annoyed that Elvis was looked at as some pioneer when his real heroes basically went unnoticed.

Ansel gets my vote.

DoubleD wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:39 pm
Ansel gets my vote.
Imagine that.

I just rewatched Baby Driver and I can't believe how bland he is.

MyCocaine wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm
DoubleD wrote:
Ansel gets my vote.
Imagine that.

wow. That's crazy. The Baby Driver movie I saw him in he wasn't bland at all.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson gets my vote.

He's not an obvious choice but I think he can pull it off. The rest can fuck off.

DoubleD wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 4:18 pm
MyCocaine wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 4:12 pm
DoubleD wrote:
Ansel gets my vote.
Imagine that.

wow. That's crazy. The Baby Driver movie I saw him in he wasn't bland at all.
That’s because the role sort of accommodates that. I don’t know if he lacks it, or just hasn’t yet had the chance to showcase charisma, but I have a difficult time seeing him as Elvis.

Teller is the most talented one out of these names, Styles is too “green”. Taylor-Johnson maybe? Idk. Also I always kind of thought, as far as these type of movies go, Styles would end up playing Jagger at some point, not Presley lol. But all of these are really weird casting choices tbh.

Taylor-Johnson
Styles
Teller
Elgort

but I wouldn't be mad either way. Great choices yo.

Absolutely Teller and none of the others. Taylor-Johnson could do it but he was already Lennon

Hollywood thinks they've found a goldmine in musical biopics, but people weren't madly excited about Rhapsody, it was projected to gross somewhere around $25M for opening weekend. It was just a big crowd pleaser so it found its way to the top slowly by the way of wom.

Rocketman did merely OK in comparison, ending up with less than a fifth of Rhapsody's total gross despite much better reviews.

I bet they are so salty that they can't make a Michael Jackson biopic without huge controversies following it though, lol. Now that could have been some moneymaker under normal circumstances.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 7:06 am
Hollywood thinks they've found a goldmine in musical biopics, but people weren't madly excited about Rhapsody, it was projected to gross somewhere around $25M for opening weekend. It was just a big crowd pleaser so it found its way to the top slowly by the way of wom.

Rocketman did merely OK in comparison, ending up with less than a fifth of Rhapsody's total gross despite much better reviews.

I bet they are so salty that they can't make a Michael Jackson biopic without huge controversies following it though, lol. Now that could have been some moneymaker under normal circumstances.
Baz Luhrmann is making this, so it won't be just another average biopic. His movies might be divisive but he's a rare big-budget true auteur working in Hollywood today.