The Danish Girl (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:I like the fact that there's this assumption that the off-kilter framing in the past three Hooper films was some kind of error or incompetence on his part.
It wasn't, merely a showing of his boring directorial skills, TDG at least looks like something proper to show around, based on this trailer. And I don't want to hear about 'theatricality of Les Mis' thank you very much.

Screening tomorrow at Venice.

I'd be shocked if Redmayne and Vikander don't get raved to the high heavens.

Alessandra Magliaroalemagliaro 25s25 seconds August Venice, Veneto
# Venezia72 applause for #TheDanishGirl with #EddieRedmayne that deserves second consecutive Oscar

Lorenzo Ciorcalo @rotovisor 1m1 minute ago
#Venezia72 #TheDanishGirl Lavish and subtle. Redmayne thrills, Vikander shines. The movie breaths with her. Best work by Hooper.

M. Jattoni Dall'AsénJattoniDallAsen 2m2 minutes ago Venice, Veneto
Excellent #AliciaVikander who applies to the Coppa Volpi for #TheDanishGirl to # Venezia72

Andrea CurcioneVeniceMaster 1M1 minute August Venice, Veneto
# Venezia72 "The Danish Girl" - 2. Redmayne for Volpi Cup. But I do not know if the male or female.

Elisa Panetto @Miss_Twin_Peaks 50s51 seconds ago
#TheDanishGirl no words, only tears.

Robbie Collin @robbiereviews 42s42 seconds ago
The Danish Girl (Hooper): Cried myself into a human raisin. Redmayne great, Vikander secret weapon. Beautiful, great and awardsy #Venezia72

Patrik Linderholm @thePatalo 32s32 seconds ago
THE DANISH GIRL: Tom Hooper beautifully caputers this important voyage of a transgender woman. Superb acting troughout. #Venezia72

Marco ValerioValerioMark 54s54 seconds August
Also this year Venice took the Oscar contender right. Hugs and applause. #TheDanishGirl # Venezia72

M. Jattoni Dall'Asén @JattoniDallAsen 38s39 seconds ago Venice, Veneto
Great #AliciaVikander in #TheDanishGirl! She's a candidate for Volpi Cup for Best Actress #VeniceFilmFestival

Andrej BoscoCriticaSoviet 53s54 seconds August
#TheDanishGirl: Calligraphic and emphatic cheatsheet of identity and hierarchy sessuali.Stucchevole, as always, Eddie Redmayne. # # Venezia72 72MIAC

Ed Frankl ‏@Ed_Frankl 44s44 seconds ago
The Danish Girl is clumsy as it goes for overly-sincere prestige pic, but I did like it - Vikander overshadows Redmayne

Viktor Jerner @ViktorJerner 2m2 minutes ago
Mixed feelings about THE DANISH GIRL right now, but overall very good. Beautiful performances & cinematography out of this world. #Venezia72

Guy Lodge ‏@GuyLodge 1m1 minute ago
THE DANISH GIRL: HooperVision is still a thing, now with added Hammershøi. Decorous, petal-scented, skin-deep. Vikander outclasses Redmayne.

Beatrice Behn ‏@DansLeCinema 44s44 seconds ago
#TheDanishGirl is Trans* Brokeback Mountain. Shiny, well made, emotional and a mainstream breakthrough for trans people in film. #Venezia72

Luke nineteenthlucaottocento 48s48 seconds August
#TheDanishGirl: A beautiful period film with some great moments some redundancy in the middle and an extraordinary #EddieRedmayne

Beatrice Behn ‏@DansLeCinema 35s35 seconds ago
The Danish Girl: Alicia #Vikander outshines #Redmayne who seems a little bland and stuck in cliché female gestures. #Venezia72

@PWellinski
The Danish Girl - very convincing and touching reconstruction of early 20th century transgender man. Hoopers off-centre images are spot on. #venezia7

Lorenzo Ciorcalo ‏@rotovisor 1m1 minute ago
#Venezia72 #TheDanishGirl Campaigning Vikander for Supporting would be a major fraud. She's Lead. Unquestionably.

CineVue ‏@CineVue 1m1 minute ago
Hooper's 'The Danish Girl' is so Oscar-ready the acceptance speeches are included as a post-credits sting. (@drjonty) #Venezia72

CineVue ‏@CineVue 2m2 minutes ago
'The Danish Girl's' transgender agenda is laudable but it's also monotonously tasteful. (@drjonty) #Venezia72

Damon Wise ‏@yo_damo 1m1 minute ago
Surprised to find myself enjoying The Danish Girl very much. Well played by Redmayne and Vikander especially. #Venice2015
gunnar rehlin ‏@GunnarRehlin 3m3 minutes ago
Liked The Danish Girl. Very emotional.

Angus MacKinnon ‏@AngusM1966 6m6 minutes ago Venice, Veneto
After all build up The Danish Girl left me a bit flat. Fascinating story told too slowly but beautifully shot

Sara Prian ‏@Sary_Cult 51s52 seconds ago
Anyway Alicia Vikander did the role of her life #TheDanishGirl what a performance #Venezia72

Vikander > Redmayne, that's almost funny when you think about it.

m4st4 wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:I like the fact that there's this assumption that the off-kilter framing in the past three Hooper films was some kind of error or incompetence on his part.
It wasn't, merely a showing of his boring directorial skills, TDG at least looks like something proper to show around, based on this trailer. And I don't want to hear about 'theatricality of Les Mis' thank you very much.
How is it boring? Can you define that? It's certainly unorthodox, which can often preclude something being boring.

And Les Mis isn't about theatricality, it's about shattering theatricality by offering something you would never get in a stage performance, which is dominant close-up. It's been mentioned many many times, but it's a clear allusion to Dreyer's Joan of Arc throughout. It's fascinating, there isn't another movie musical like it at all and it might be one of the most cinematic since the days of Minnelli and Donen.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
How is it boring? Can you define that? It's certainly unorthodox, which can often preclude something being boring.

And Les Mis isn't about theatricality, it's about shattering theatricality by offering something you would never get in a stage performance, which is dominant close-up. It's been mentioned many many times, but it's a clear allusion to Dreyer's Joan of Arc throughout. It's fascinating, there isn't another movie musical like it at all and it might be one of the most cinematic since the days of Minnelli and Donen.
Boring enough that I don't want to revisit Les Mis any time soon, in all it's overbloated glory.

Are Minnelli and Donen giving credibility to Hooper's direction or to your comment? End of the day, movie should answer for it's own successes, and failures. That's why I love Luhrmann's 2001 kitch bomba. Another unorthodox musical with references galore (Fosse, for starters), but nobody can take away it's one true accomplishment: you can actually re-watch it a dozen times like any good - not just musical - but movie in general.

I don't see people talking about Les Mis and it's been what, three years? Wonderful expiry date; stage is still where it's at.

m4st4 wrote:Boring enough that I don't want to revisit Les Mis any time soon, in all it's overbloated glory.

Are Minnelli and Donen giving credibility to Hooper's direction or to your comment? End of the day, movie should answer for it's own successes, and failures. That's why I love Luhrmann's 2001 kitch bomba. Another unorthodox musical with references galore (Fosse, for starters), but nobody can take away it's one true accomplishment: you can actually re-watch it a dozen times like any good - not just musical - but movie in general.

I don't see people talking about Les Mis and it's been what, three years? Wonderful expiry date; stage is still where it's at.
In short you're saying:

*I don't know
*I don't know
*Consensus says otherwise so there

2/5 from The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/se ... tom-hooper

2/5 from Time Out: http://www.timeout.com/london/film/the-danish-girl

C- from The Playlist: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... r-20150905

Positive from Variety: http://variety.com/2015/film/festivals/ ... 201586696/

Mixed from Screen Daily: http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the- ... ferrer=RSS

Positive from The Daily Best: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ce=twitter

Positive from THR: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/ ... ce=twitter

Guy Lodge ‏@GuyLodge
THE DANISH GIRL: HooperVision is still a thing, now with added Hammershøi. Decorous, petal-scented, skin-deep. Vikander outclasses Redmayne.

LMAO!

ArmandFancypants wrote:In short you're saying:
No, in short I'm saying:

Bugger off, as you intended. You're waiting for people to stop talking so you can continue, good luck with that.