The Danish Girl (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Quite enjoyed this, performances are wonderful.

Redmayne and particularly Vikander are very good, and I quite like what Hooper and Cohen did, but it really lumbers towards it conclusion. The film just stops introducing things rides out a process, but at the same time shies away from the brutality of said process - Redmayne does a very good job of conveying the pain, but it's just too damn delicate to provide any insight or be a watershed film or... much of anything, really.

Schoenaerts is kind of the sneaky MVP of this thing.

Vikander being placed in supporting is truly one of the worst frauds I have ever seen. :lol:

Allstar wrote:Schoenaerts is kind of the sneaky MVP of this thing.

Vikander being placed in supporting is truly one of the worst frauds I have ever seen. :lol:
Carol m8

theseeker9175 wrote:

Carol m8
She is not in Carol. Rooney Mara is.

JohnConstantine wrote:
theseeker9175 wrote:

Carol m8
She is not in Carol. Rooney Mara is.
I was referring to Mara's category fraud in Carol. While Vikander in TDG is pretty important, Mara in Carol.... well, the story is actually about her, isn't it?

Vikander's fraud is already very bad, but Mara's fraud is completely awful.

theseeker9175 wrote:Vikander's fraud is already very bad, but Mara's fraud is completely awful.
Yeah Mara's is inexcusable :lol:

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
theseeker9175 wrote:Vikander's fraud is already very bad, but Mara's fraud is completely awful.
Thoughts on Eddie in this film?

Allstar wrote:
Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Thoughts on Eddie in this film?
He was good, though I preferred him in The Theory of Everything -- I felt he was a bit more invested in that role. But he still had some great moments in this.

The performances are an absolute powerhouse, especially from Vikander, but just like it's protagonist, it's very confused and unsure of itself. There were too many moments where I wasn't sure whether to feel the emotion of the scene or not, and I felt rather out of touch. It's visually inviting, but it only felt like it was providing the illusion of emotion, which in turn lacked so much depth.