Transcendence (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
Vader182 wrote:I'm not sure why everyone's so happy about this. I seen her in most of her more notable roles, and while very good, she doesn't strike me as this dynamic and commanding actress.

I would've gone nuts if Rooney got it, but what else is new.

-Vader
Mara is not believable as Depp's wife, Wally knows what he is doing.
Is Rebecca Hall (or Emily Blunt, for that matter) any more believable? Unless the script calls for an actress that young (I haven't read it, so I don't know), I don't understand why they didn't opt for a slightly older group of women. Watts, Weisz, or Winslet, for instance, all feel like better fits to me.

George wrote:Is Rebecca Hall (or Emily Blunt, for that matter) any more believable? Unless the script calls for an actress that young (I haven't read it, so I don't know), I don't understand why they didn't opt for a slightly older group of women. Watts, Weisz, or Winslet, for instance, all feel like better fits to me.
Hall and Blunt look a lot older and have a more mature presence about them than Mara to me.

But yeah... the actresses you mentioned seem more logical.

Allstar wrote:
George wrote:Is Rebecca Hall (or Emily Blunt, for that matter) any more believable? Unless the script calls for an actress that young (I haven't read it, so I don't know), I don't understand why they didn't opt for a slightly older group of women. Watts, Weisz, or Winslet, for instance, all feel like better fits to me.
Hall and Blunt look a lot older and have a more mature presence about them than Mara to me.

But yeah... the actresses you mentioned seem more logical.
If Depp's a scientist, maybe, but Mara comes with natural class and charisma though she has a sort of naivety about her outside of Lisbeth. I agree Hall has a more mature presence, but I'd take a stronger actress over that presence anyway.

I agree with George.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
If Depp's a scientist, maybe, but Mara comes with natural class and charisma though she has a sort of naivety about her outside of Lisbeth. I agree Hall has a more mature presence, but I'd take a stronger actress over that presence anyway.

I agree with George.

-Vader
Well I think Hall has that presence over her and is a stronger actress, so it is a no brainer for me, seems Wally agreed. INB4 Mara's followers destroy my opinion.

It is kind of odd they wouldn't go for an older actress like George suggested but that is hollywood for you.

Definitely think she's a good casting choice. I like her but Ive not seen her at all since The Town so it will be good to see her again, and even better to see her working with Wally (Again).

As much as I love Rooney (more than Hall and Blunt in fact), she would have been a huge miscast; she's too young for Depp. Although if Will was younger, I would have wanted Rooney.

Hall is a perfect choice for Depp I think : )

Yes!

BlairCo wrote:As much as I love Rooney (more than Hall and Blunt in fact), she would have been a huge miscast; she's too young for Depp. Although if Will was younger, I would have wanted Rooney.
Nice to see a massive fan be fair and realistic.

Rebecca Hall is an awesome choice! :clap: She was definitely my favourite among the 3 options, so I'm happy. :D