Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 2:52 pm
why climb a mountain?

why get out of bed in the morning?

carpe the diem brother
Gotta reanimate that dead IP at some point, I guess. I just wonder why that moment has to be at a time when the main star of the series can no longer himself do the kinds of action scenes that the films are famous for.

if ford wants to what rights do i have to stop him

I trust Mangold after Logan

I trust Mangold, I just don't trust deaging... if I see anything like this, I'm out:

If only that scene was in the best movie of the last thirty months... (thirty months because 31 months ago there was Roma)

LelekPL wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 3:51 pm
I trust Mangold, I just don't trust deaging... if I see anything like this, I'm out:

Fundamentally don't understand this gripe. For one thing, Ford is in phenomenal shape compared to any of the leads in The Irishman. Crystal Skull has endless issues, but Ford's athleticism isn't one of them. For another, Logan had one of the best "de-aged" characters to date.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 7:00 pm
LelekPL wrote:

Fundamentally don't understand this gripe. For one thing, Ford is in phenomenal shape compared to any of the leads in The Irishman. Crystal Skull has endless issues, but Ford's athleticism isn't one of them. For another, Logan had one of the best "de-aged" characters to date.

-Vader
Come on...don't tell me you hear them wanting to de-age Ford and you think this is a good idea. Yes, there are some examples that aren't complete garbage; but it usually hampers even a good film. The Irishman is excellent, but the de-aging isn't... it stains what is otherwise a truly great film. Also, cutting-edge CGI usually ages "like sushi left out in the sun" (to quote David Ehrlich).

Vader182 wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 7:00 pm
LelekPL wrote:

-Vader
Ford is in better shape than De Niro. Hell, I'd even say he is in a great shape... for his age. But he is 78, supposed to play someone 40 years younger. It's not only how you move - it's about your body posture, your body language, your body proportions - they all change while you age.

Jackman was not de-aged in Logan. His face was mapped with CGI onto a different performer - and yes, that's the way to go if you are REALLY allergic to recasting. But from set photos, that's not what they're doing, that's why I'm fearful. We've only seen a couple of set photos, so I'm not against the movie completely just yet. I'm just skeptical to the approach they seem to be taking... but maybe they've got some trick up their sleeves.

As for my example being one scene coming from a great film... first of all, I didn't think The Irishman was all that, not just because of the CGI that constantly stood out. But even if we go by your standard, that it is a masterpiece with one bad scene - The Irishman was a drama. One "fight" scene is not something that would make or break that movie. Indiana Jones is an action movie. The movement and fakeness of CGI compared with real life performances of a 78 year old playing a 40 year old body will hit much harder as they are crucial to the type of movie they're making.

I just don't know where we suddenly decided that casting young actors as younger versions of older characters was no longer acceptable :(

DHOPW42 wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 9:56 am
I just don't know where we suddenly decided that casting young actors as younger versions of older characters was no longer acceptable :(
The moment the audience considered that cinema was a transaction rather than an artistic experience. Fans thinking they can boss around studios and directors is a rather recent phenomenon. Risk-averse studios prefer not upsetting fans of their IP (which is how they see films anyway) by making a controversial casting choice for a younger version of the same character so they keep the fans on their side by getting the same actor who played the character before and they don't care much that the CG of de-aging him might look wonky and give us uncanny valley vibes...the fans who don't want anything different push the companies into this direction by raising hell online months before the film ever gets released (see the Snydercut people) so if there is a problem it's with the audience because the studio only responds to what the audience wants.