Manga & Anime

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
We already have a comic book thread (http://tinyurl.com/nkgcrbf) and ''What anime is your favorite?'' + ''Dragon Ball Z'' threads, but we all know how enormous these eastern topics are so let's merge all the joyous adventures into one, shall we?

Be it Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Astro Boy, Death Note, Battle Angel Alita, Dragon Ball, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, Sailor Moon or Pokemon (etc. etc.), in any known form, let's discuss it in here, where it's cozy and, unfortunately for some, hentai-less*.

*however, this is o-kay-ish:

WELCOME TO NF'S OFFICIAL MANGA & ANIME EXCLUSIVE THREAD!

I'll start first, with my current obsession - pirate manga One Piece by Eiichiro Oda (luckily, our badass moderator ninja is well into it for a long time), this is my solid (starter) collection of mangas, I'm also watching OP anime with bros on a daily basis, a habit but also a joy:

With some luck (and even more so money), collection will grow with each month, there's a shelf reserved especially for OP stuff (hey, I like my loves sorted and on a display).

If you'd like to read some quality manga scans, mangafox is a nice place: http://mangafox.me/
Last edited by m4st4 on July 1st, 2016, 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

One Piece is awesome. Sometimes I think it's a tad long, though, but luckily despite it's length Oda knows know to round up a story without recurring to filler (the anime, on the other hand...)

Attack on Titan is the one that most recently got my attention.

didich wrote:One Piece is awesome. Sometimes I think it's a tad long, though, but luckily despite it's length Oda knows know to round up a story without recurring to filler (the anime, on the other hand...)

Attack on Titan is the one that most recently got my attention.
Funny thing is - Oda recently said that his Straw Hat crew is halfway to One Piece, that's around ten more years until they reach the finish line. He knows the ending of course, but particular arcs are formed in his mind one by one.

There are definitely fillers in anime (it's been out since 1998 I think, manga since '97), but luckily I've found some guidelines on net and since I always prefer reading manga before watching anime they are easily spotted and eliminated - makes for a tighter, more rewarding experience, as mangaka imagined.

Fun fact - Eiichiro Oda sleeps around 3-5 hours per day, here is his direct quote:
The only way that I can think of a new idea is to think about it a lot without sleeping or eating. That's the only way that I know, because humans can only come up with truly new ideas when they reach their limit. So every time I'm done with my manuscript I'm completely exhausted.
http://imgur.com/a/sp7Nh#0

*Jibran, ma man, do you think we should put Ghibli here as well? After all they ought to be considered as royalty!

http://tinyurl.com/or8gppv
So, all these tiny threads ought to become crowded in a matter of weeks.

More people should watch Code Geass. It's one of the best animes out there.

Alberto wrote:More people should watch Code Geass. It's one of the best animes out there.
Walk us through it, what's it about? Animation reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist, looks like a new anime, post 2000? Half of the story is always intros, at least for me, here's one for CG:

Another recommendation, GRArkada channel on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmEbe0XH51CI09gm_9Fcn8Q
For beginners and veterans alike, guy has great reviews.

I tend to watch One Piece from time to time. I check 80 episodes or so and then i stop. Wait a few years. Right now the last thing i saw (6 months) was the Marineford War. Shirohige was the epitome of bad ass :twothumbsup:

I saw so much stuff that its kinda hard to pinpoint recommendations. Berserk , Bebop , Ghost in the Shell , i think its a trio very easy to recommend to anyone , whether they like anime or not . FMA Brotherhood contains such a classical structure and archetypes , that i would also recommend it to anyone. A fun , adventurous action series.

Lately i've been watching lots of 80's and beginning of 90's shows . Its great , and when anime kinda boomed most people kinda forgot to check this amazing shows.

Patlabor
Fist of the North Star (easy right ? The granddaddy of fighting shounen)
Space Adventure Cobra
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the best space opera on a visual medium ever !!!!)
Bubblegum Crisis
Captain Harlock
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
08th MS Team
Bastard
etc
etc
etc

Recently , i've heard a lot about the new Yamato show but i have yet to see it.

Manga is a little pricey to buy all collections. I only have Berserk , Vagabond and Pluto. I would love to have Blade of the Immortal but it needs to be released in a 3 volume a piece.

The beauty of the style is it's endless limitations and how it varies so much from genre to genre.

Lionheart wrote:I tend to watch One Piece from time to time. I check 80 episodes or so and then i stop. Wait a few years. Right now the last thing i saw (6 months) was the Marineford War. Shirohige was the epitome of bad ass :twothumbsup:

Manga is a little pricey to buy all collections.
Some great picks you got there, lots of stuff I haven't even heard about. I'm a relative rookie when it comes to manga/anime, but you can't have it all, with some western series, comic books, games and movies. Lately I was actually radically cutting my monthly schedule - some comprimises just had to be made.

I know about the Marineford War but currently zero details (no spoilers please), Skypiea is my place (manga) and Alabasta just started (anime).

So far, favorite three arcs: 1) Alabasta 2) Skypiea 3) Drum Island.

It's so easy to get involved in Eiichiro's panels... so many intricate details, I love his work!

Anyone here hooked on Attack on Titan?

I don't get the hype around Attack on Titan. It's a decently great series and everything, but I honestly don't really get it.

Anyway, my favorites:

Neon Genesis: Evangelion (<3)
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Monster
Berzerk
Golden Boy
Hellsing OVA

I'm a fan of other things like Trinity Blood, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Noien, and Outlaw Star.

I never got into One Piece either.

-Vader