Manga & Anime

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I've just seen the first episodes. Personally, as of now, I like it a lot, but I've heard it goes downhill so I don't know...

Glad to see Monster on your list Vader, Naoki Urasawa is probably one of my favorite (contemporany) mangakas :thumbup:

m4st4 wrote:
Alberto wrote:More people should watch Code Geass. It's one of the best animes out there.
Walk us through it, what's it about? Animation reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist, looks like a new anime, post 2000? Half of the story is always intros, at least for me, here's one for CG:

The show had 5 different intros, but I prefer this one:

Imagine Light Yagami from Death Note trying to fight a huge dictatorship along a rebellious group with mechas. That's how I'd describe Code Geass. It truly is amazing.
My anime trinity consists of Cowboy Bebop, Death Note and Code Geass. Those three are my favorites.
If anyone decides to watch Code Geass, please let me know, cause I'd love to chat about it.

Even though it's not technically anime, Kamen Rider Gaim is awesome.

To be honest, I've barely watched any anime. The most I watched was Dragonball, and I'm sure that's not exactly the height of the style. There was also this weird anime remake of Metropolis that I barely remember watching.

Apart from that, I've seen Akira, and I'm currently going through Gurren Lagann.

darthnazgul wrote:To be honest, I've barely watched any anime. The most I watched was Dragonball, and I'm sure that's not exactly the height of the style. There was also this weird anime remake of Metropolis that I barely remember watching.

Apart from that, I've seen Akira, and I'm currently going through Gurren Lagann.
That was great except for how repetitive it got.

You should check out Bacano! too

-Vader

Well everyone else here's already recommended what I'd recommend but...
This movie is bitchin' yo.

DreamPolice wrote:Well everyone else here's already recommended what I'd recommend but...
This movie is bitchin' yo.
Movie is not that bad either! ;)

As for One Piece... I don't know what's going on, but every time I finish an arc I feel completely exhausted... Oda is draining emotions out of me, all kinds. Skypiea was magnificent, love it when something huge like this comes in my life! It's adventurous, often bizzare, sincere and totally unique, there's a true connection between the characters and it explodes - be it on pages or screen, whenever they hit some sort of milestone.

Latest intro for OP: New World:

I was curious, what are your thoughts on English (or some other language) dubbing?

Personally, I can't stand it, everything feels cheaper and in Japanese I can at least learn some words and spend my anime time more connected with Japanese culture.

darthnazgul wrote:To be honest, I've barely watched any anime. The most I watched was Dragonball, and I'm sure that's not exactly the height of the style.
Dragon Ball is a classic. The anime industry as we know it wouldn't exist without its influence.

Psycho-Pass (TV series) was a great recent anime (new season coming soon). And I think most recent anime is terrible or embarrassing.

didich wrote:
darthnazgul wrote:To be honest, I've barely watched any anime. The most I watched was Dragonball, and I'm sure that's not exactly the height of the style.
Dragon Ball is a classic. The anime industry as we know it wouldn't exist without its influence.
First Dragon Ball is a classic and Dragon Ball Z is a proud member of pop culture and lots of happy childhood/teenage memories, however I don't think it's top tier when you dig deeper, but that's understandable since japanese animated culture feels like an entire ocean once you start exploring.

I remember running from school like Forest Gump, catching up on the last 15 mins of DB, then watching it again in the morning.