Manga & Anime

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I remember reading the manga and not liking it that much but I'll give this a shot.

Took me (only) 29 years to finally start watching Deathnote on bros' reccomendation. Man it's good. I'll probably read manga after we finish it.

honestly may not be worth it since the manga is LITERALLY the anime

or I should say the anime is literally the manga

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:honestly may not be worth it since the manga is LITERALLY the anime

-Vader
Hm... can't bail now since we're watching together, part of the tradition. My general rule is manga first if I can but anime looks (and sounds) pretty good. Soundtrack reminds me of Exorcist/Akira Yamaoka (of Silent Hill fame).

Vader182 wrote:honestly may not be worth it since the manga is LITERALLY the anime

-Vader
I'd say only read the manga after the anime adaption, so you can catch up to the whole story without having to wait between hiatuses. Goes for pretty much every anime adaption.

Personally, I only read the manga up to the point that an anime has gotten, then wait for the next season. In many cases, I just prefer the medium of television for telling the story.

Currently watching All Out. It's a rugby anime - what a time to be alive yo :D

So I watched Higurashi no naku koro ni : When they Cry: Really engaging mysteries, it's excessively violent in parts but the violent moments are spaced out well enough that each arc has a quiet and seemingly innocent beginning, tense and creepy middle and often violent and somewhat sad ending. So far I have seen the first 26 episodes and I'm going to watch the next 26 soon. I could see someone not sticking with this due to the strong violence but the characters are endgaging, the soundtrack is cool and that opening theme is legendary. I think the mystery is intriguing enough to keep my interest. the only downside is that you won't at first get a consistent characterization for the characters, since some of them are innocent in some arcs and then insane murderers in other arcs. Overall, this is a great mystery/horror anime that looks like an innocent, lighthearted show at first but then it starts subverting the tropes and the tension is often incredible.

I also watched the 26 episodes of Claymore. This one gets worse towards the end because there are just so many blonde, silver-eyed, stoic badass women fighting monsters you can present before I feel like we don't have enough variety in their personalities. I cared about Clare, Teresa, Ophelia, Jean and Prescilla mostly. The rest of them either get introduced 2 episodes before they get killed or don't offer anything interesting to the story. Now I know the manga wasn't finished when they started the anime but smeone could definitely try to do another adaptation now I think. Some of the soundtrack is quite beautiful but sometimes the music doesn't tonally seem to match some of the action on-screen. the fights are ncredible and the show is a visual treat at least. Overall, it has some great moments in the middle (episodes 6-14) but the end the show had to come up with short-changed the villain of he story a lot and feels like somewhat of a missed opportunity but I understand that they had to find some way to finish this if they weren't going to get renewed.

I also watched 13 episodes of Death Note: I hate Light.

Damn, my Cowboy Bebop post got deleted in the purge. Ah well, now that I've finished the show, I can actually give some proper thoughts.

Because damn, what a show. What a fucking show. This is beyond mere anime. It's film noir, it's western. It's space opera, crime drama. Action, comedy, tragedy. It's jazz, it's orchestra, it's blue. It truly is the work which becomes a new genre itself. I can't do it justice.

Went and bought the film on blu-ray, gonna watch it tomorrow. But I doubt it'll fill the void presented by the show.

You're gonna carry that weight.

Cowboy Bebop is just the best.

Dragon Ball Z Abridged is life.