Sicario (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:I remember we had almost no Prisonsers haters either.

VillenueveFans.com anyone?
Not a fan of Prisoners.

Enemy > Prisoners.

Brilliantly work by all involved. Particularly Del Toro.

9.0/10

I want to punch myself in the balls for missing this out when it played in the nearby town, cause the tiny theatre where I live doesn't have it on the menu for this month. Alternative is a two hour drive, not sure if it's worth that, I'll probably wait for blu and cry inside, watch some comfort food that is The Walk and Crimson Peak.

Watched a podcast and heard some interesting bits about visual effects usage. I'll put the scenes in spoilers, just in case
In the beginning of the movie when Blunt goes for the door, to the backyard, the explosion is not happening in front of her (or stuntwoman). There was a greenscreen there and put the explosion later.

The convoy of cars to Juarez (shot from high above) was white. They colored the cars black. Also they put more houses to make the city bigger.

The bodies hanging under the bridge in Juarez (when the convoy passes by them) are digitally made.
Remembered this because most people say MM: Fury Road had little digital effects, but there were much more than what we noticed. Usually they blend in like that.

Also the bridge where the shootout took place was build somewhere in the States (I don't remembered where). It was made for the movie, not an actual place.

JohnConstantine wrote:Watched a podcast and heard some interesting bits about visual effects usage. I'll put the scenes in spoilers, just in case
In the beginning of the movie when Blunt goes for the door, to the backyard, the explosion is not happening in front of her (or stuntwoman). There was a greenscreen there and put the explosion later.

The convoy of cars to Juarez (shot from high above) was white. They colored the cars black. Also they put more houses to make the city bigger.

The bodies hanging under the bridge in Juarez (when the convoy passes by them) are digitally made.
Remembered this because most people say MM: Fury Road had little digital effects, but there were much more than what we noticed. Usually they blend in like that.

Also the bridge where the shootout took place was build somewhere in the States (I don't remembered where). It was made for the movie, not an actual place.
Wow, they did an incredible job. I look for shit like that and I didn't notice any of those.

Forum Pro
Law
I want a sequel where the convoy moves into different cities and takes out cartel's/mafia.

I could literally watch an entire film of overhead shots seeing 5 black SUV's moving passed slow moving traffic, with Del Toro in the backseat. And this guy in the front ...

Law wrote:I want a sequel where the convoy moves into different cities and takes out cartel's/mafia.

I could literally watch an entire film of overhead shots seeing 5 black SUV's moving passed slow moving traffic, with Del Toro in the backseat. And this guy in the front ...

^This

JohnConstantine wrote:Watched a podcast and heard some interesting bits about visual effects usage. I'll put the scenes in spoilers, just in case

they colored the SUVs? holy fuck, it looks absolutely seamless

This was so so good. Best US movie i've seen this year. Blunt character is fucking awesome. This is how you write a woman in a "man's setting". No need for gratuitous sexualitzation , nor she needs to act like a man or incorporate some bizarre machismo characteristics. She has her flaws , her fragilities but she behaves like a normal , tough woman in a crazy situation. I absolutely loved how she reacted to the situations.

As for the film , its hard not think by the end of it (and while seeing it) that Villeneuve directed the shit out of it. But im sometimes seeing this remark as a little negative (or at least not as an exclusive positive affirmation). Because the director wants to note his presence a tad too much or because its a simple/done story that only the direction is really grandeur. I dont write with that intent. Directing is creating a visual language and setting a mood and tone that enhances the story being told (when the film has a narrative or some kind of story , which doesnt have to be the case in all movies). Either the story is very intricate or not. Yes , the cartel , the behavior of the agencies , the law transgression...it's not original. But it's also not a determent to the story. Because its done right.

And Villeneuve really directs the shit out of it. For 120 minutes. That Juarez scene...that's a cinematic hard on. Like you can't take your eyes off. The acting is on point. The sound is on point. The visuals are on point. The editing is on point. The progression is on point. The climax is on point. It's a fucking cinema boner. And there's a lot more boners in this.

Loved it :thumbup:

I think this is one of the best Deakins work in years . A lot of creativity in the setups (something which i think he tends to be a little conservative).

Also the best US Villeneuve movie. BR2 is in great hands.