Utopia (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Director David Fincher only recently wrapped production on his next film Gone Girl, but he’s already hatched another project with the book’s author Gillian Flynn—one that sees him returning to the television world on another British remake, no less. THR reports that Fincher and Flynn will team up on a remake of the Channel 4 TV series Utopia for HBO, with Flynn penning the adaptation and Fincher directing the pilot and executive producing. Created by Dennis Kelly, Utopia premiered in the U.K. last January and a second series is on the way.
The story of the show kicks into gear when die-hard fans of an underground graphic novel learn that the author has secretly written a sequel, launching them into their own pop-culture thriller. They find that “the new manuscript is much more than just a book, and those on the hunt for it suddenly find themselves in a game of shifting loyalties, conspiracy and shocking twists as the true meaning of the book is slowly revealed.”
david-fincher-utopia-hboPer THR, Flynn has inked an overall deal with HBO in addition to coming aboard the American Utopia remake as writer, with British series creator Dennis Kelly also onboard as an executive producer. Flynn penned the screenplay for Fincher’s Gone Girl, and it appears that the duo struck up a successful working relationship. Fincher’s first foray into TV was directing the first two episodes of the highly successful Netflix series House of Cards. He was intricately involved in that show’s first season and remains an executive producer for season two, and it’ll be interesting to see how involved he’ll be under the HBO banner for this new series, which feels a tad reminiscent of the filmmaker’s twisty 1997 film The Game.
This move comes as HBO is fielding wildly positive reviews for the new drama series True Detective. The anthology series tells one closed-ended story spanning eight episodes, which is how it was able to attract immensely talented lead actors like Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. As studios invest less and less into mid-range dramas, more talented filmmakers and actors are heading to cable television where story and character reign supreme over visual effects or wide audience appeal. Utopia is the latest incredibly promising drama series to joint the fold, and I’m very eager to see what Fincher and Flynn put together. Watch the trailer for the British series below.
Source

I know it says shocking twists but will this be like serious as in a bunch of fans yelling at each other or will people die?
It would be nice to see a compelling television show where someone doesn't die.

Also the plot reminds me of a Japanese film I can't entirely recall.

Fincher and HBO...im game. 8-)

Durden wrote:Fincher and HBO...im game. 8-)

Durden wrote:Fincher and HBO...im game. 8-)
And Gillian Flynn

Cool.

But Fincher is obsessed with remakes confirmed.

Allstar wrote:Cool.

so was Kubrick ;)

-Vader

Yeah, ugh remakes. We need fresh and exciting new material! Or you know, cool and unique adaptations.

Maybe I'll watch the British one for a couple of eps to get a feel for the story.

EDIT:
Vader182 wrote:
Allstar wrote:Cool.
so was Kubrick ;)
-Vader
Old man Kubes was obsessed with adaptations, but which ones were his remakes?

Seems like a winner combo

Utopia was frakking awesome, I think I mentioned it in the General Television thread a few weeks ago..