Utopia (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:TGWTDT is still my TOP 10 film so, yeah...
That's cool, but I found the source material to be majorly lacking. Fincher made the best film he could make out of a mediocre book.

The past 2 season of Utopia have been the best thing on tv , hands down

Watch it, it really is a classic 2series in

Huh, so I should put this on my list then.

Finished season 1 of the original, can't wait to see this get the dark Fincher treatment :)

Wow, Fincher plans to direct the whole series from what I've read in a Guardian interview.

It looks really like he's passionate about this project :shock:

antovolk wrote:Finished season 1 of the original, can't wait to see this get the dark Fincher treatment :)
Just binged on the first season last week. Great stuff. Should be interesting to see where DF takes things.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:Wow, Fincher plans to direct the whole series from what I've read in a Guardian interview.

It looks really like he's passionate about this project :shock:
For the time being, he’s going back to television, remaking the Channel 4 conspiracy series Utopia for HBO, with Flynn scripting again. “I like the world of it,” he says. “I like the characters – I love Dennis’s [Kelly, creator of the UK show] honesty and affinity for the nerds. I mean, I’ve always been a bit of a junior conspiracy theorist cos I don’t have time to connect them all! But it’s nice to see that somebody has.” He is planning to direct the whole series, which will keep him busy for most of 2015, and is not looking much beyond that. There is no long-term plan (at least not that he’s confessing to). “Oddly enough,” he says, “I did a remake of a literary adaptation, then I did a remake of a television show. Now I’m doing a literary adaptation [and then remaking another show]. I don’t know: the pattern is not clear to me exactly what it is that I’m doing. But I’m sure it’ll be illuminated for me. Your job is context. I’m just a hamster on a wheel!”

The whole series? :o Hell yeah! :clap:

The whole series? Of course I'm fucking in. This pattern is more likely to pay off, just like it did with True Detective and it does right know with The Knick.

With three best-selling novels of murder and suspense under her belt (in addition to “Gone Girl” there’s “Sharp Objects” — which is being developed as a movie — and “Dark Places”), Flynn was eager to leave the film business behind and get to work on her new book.

“I was all set to write my next novel and nobody in the world could have dissuaded me from getting back to that form,” she said. “Except that I got a call from David Fincher asking what I was doing for next year of my life.

“He offered the chance to work with him for a TV series where we can sprawl out a bit. It’s called ‘Utopia’ and it’ll be on HBO (not the Fox reality show by same name). It’s a conspiracy thriller, very dark, very evil, very mischievous.”

She compares it to the recent HBO hit “True Detective.” But of course it will have that Gillian Flynn touch.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... rylink=cpy
And on of the key members of the original UK cast on the remake:
Stateside, HBO have undertaken to create an American adaptation with David Fincher as director. The phrase “US remake” normally prompts symptoms of influenza across a fanbase, but O’Shaughnessy is optimistic: “With David Fincher in the driving seat, it can only be good. I am currently in London staying with my friend, Geraldine James [Utopia’s Milner] and she has worked with Fincher and says, frankly, it is an exquisite thing. So there!”
http://www.tn2magazine.ie/interview-fio ... on-utopia/
I can also totally see Reznor/Ross scoring Utopia too :D