Arrival (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Not sure why you see it as a Drama, the screenplay is brilliant and is juggling several heady themes.

5 seems a bit harsh

Lord Shade wrote:There was a scene where a no-name soldier is calling his wife or somebody and trying to comfort her. This scene was one of the most out-of-the-place scenes I've seen this year in movies. If the film was focusing on two main characters, who showing up some random soldier arguing with his wife? To increase the tension of the main alien conflict? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Also, Forest Whitaker was terribly wasted in this movie. Terribly.
He was not random at all. During the course of the film, he became hostile towards the aliens and radicalised by that talkshow host/anti alien movement. He was the guy who planted the bomb that killed Abbott (one of the aliens).
2. Whitaker's part may have been small but he did an excellent job with what he was given, at least imo.

8/10

The Villenuerrival is upon us.

Doesn't match Sicario, but it's the best film of the year in a pretty lame year

NFometer: 93%
Based on the Ratings of 20 Members
Average Score: (8.6/10)

Positive

AsianVersionOfET (10/10)
Law (10/10)
cooldude (10/10)
shauner111 (10/10)
prowlercomesaround (10/10)
Now Where Was I ? (9.5/10)
Mantis Toboggan (9.5/10)
Durden (9.3/10)
Vader182 (9.2/10)
elemunt (9/10)
Dobson (9/10)*
antovolk (9/10)
Cilogy (8/10)*
BlairCo (8/10)
LelekPL (8/10)*
The Taxman (8/10)
ChristNolan (7/10)
solo2001 (7/10)

Mixed to Positive

Sky007 (6.5/10)

Mixed to Negative

Lord Shade (5/10)*

£

9/10

I was worried I'd feel the absence of Deakins, but I saw little difference between this and Prisoners/Sicario (although Deakins' work speaks for itself), so it's clear Villenueve is a master of his craft regardless of the tools at his disposal.

Performances were decent, but the star here was the film's writing and themes, as well as the overall look of the film.

Johansson's score got me gone mayne.

Bring on Blade Runner 2 and then give this guy Bond already.

Cilogy wrote:I was worried I'd feel the absence of Deakins, but I saw little difference between this and Prisoners/Sicario (although Deakins' work speaks for itself), so it's clear Villenueve is a master of his craft regardless of the tools at his disposal.

Performances were decent, but the star here was the film's writing and themes, as well as the overall look of the film.

Johansson's score got me gone mayne.

Bring on Blade Runner 2 and then give this guy Bond already.
Adams expressed a lot by doing a little, I thought. I cried both times I saw it.

-Vader

I was more in awe the first time. I saw it again last night and i started choking up just a little during the last few minutes. Amy is really good here. And Renner did a good job supporting her.

An 8, Virgs.

MV, note me there with a 8.0/10 so far.