Let's talk about...[Insert film/person]

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
One thing someone could explain to me how HDR works on HDR-capable TVs, because so far the only thing I could achieve was make the footage (such as an episode of Mandalorian) much, much darker than the standard version... I am probably totally screwing this up.

I'm used to the blu-rays and I recently did a Middle-Earth marathon over two days lol, I know the blu-rays of LOTR are quite intense when it comes to color grading and noise and I figured the HDR would make it look pretty much the same as the theatrical versions since it's from the negatives. I think it will be quite some time before I watch them again, preferably in 4K then lol, but I'm looking forward to the more original looks of the trilogy. Theres a lot of detail missing in the blu-rays imo and the noise was quite intense in The Two Towers...
I wonder how The Hobbit trilogy holds up in 4K/HDR. The last one of that had some excruciating CGI which imo in many places does not even look finished. Besides, I know the three films are finished in 2K but were shot in 5K, I wonder if that's anything that'll matter when it comes to those films' 4K/HDRs.

DHOPW42 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 6:47 am
One thing someone could explain to me how HDR works on HDR-capable TVs, because so far the only thing I could achieve was make the footage (such as an episode of Mandalorian) much, much darker than the standard version... I am probably totally screwing this up.
All I know is that your TV has different settings for HDR. Honestly, some stuff on Netflix looks incredible in HDR, like Our Planet, but The Haunting of Hill House for example looks even darker in HDR. I mean hell, the subtitles light up the entire screen and considering nowadays they shroud many scenes in almost only darkness, even though with a lot of detail in it now with HDR, it does not mingle with the subtitles like, at all.

DHOPW42 wrote:
Complicated question. What TV do you have?

-Vader

DHOPW42 wrote:
HDR is an elusive enigmatic faux-standard that has no rules or consensus on how it works or what it even is.

Vader182 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 6:56 am
Complicated question. What TV do you have?

-Vader
I've got a Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005 and everything looks quite amazing on standard settings (I mean, my fine-tuned standard settings), but there are two settings I'm still not sure are delivering the best results: Dolby Vision and HDR. Dolby Vision is weird as you cannot turn it off when there's content on Netflix, for example, "made for" Dolby Vision. And HDR so far is just a mystery to me. But I'm sure there must be some way to make it work...
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 7:47 am
HDR is an elusive enigmatic faux-standard that has no rules or consensus on how it works or what it even is.
... or not :D

So it seems like TDK where the 4K and original theatrical exhibition seems completely new compared to the original home media releases? Hm...

it's interesting that he talks about consistency first and foremost. seems like a defensive choice over trying to achieve the "truest" grade. though the extended editions are inconsistent from scene to scene so it'd be nice to at least iron that out.
my gut suspicion is that there was never really a definitive look in mind and he'll just keep toying around with every rerelease.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 8:55 am
it's interesting that he talks about consistency first and foremost. seems like a defensive choice over trying to achieve the "truest" grade. though the extended editions are inconsistent from scene to scene so it'd be nice to at least iron that out.
my gut suspicion is that there was never really a definitive look in mind and he'll just keep toying around with every rerelease.
he was way too concerned with the hobbit movies associating themselves with lotr to begin with.

-Vader

Let's talk about... Movies you still like very much, despite general divisiveness of the material and the overall bloat/messiness of the final product. Most likely a Hollywood sequel that aims to get higher than the original but doesn't necessarily get there in the eyes of many.

Mine are, in no particular order:
-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
-Peter Jackson's King Kong
-Speed Racer
-Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut
-Interstellar
-Pirates: Dead Man's Chest/World's End
-Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions
I feel like Tenet will get on my list soon, after couple of rewatches in the future.