Let's talk about...[Insert film/person]

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Demoph wrote:
September 11th, 2021, 5:04 pm

French women run cinema this year.
Update, after Ducourneau won in Cannes and Diwan won in Venice, now Claire Denis has won in Berlin.
So, again, French women run cinema!

Sundance was also dominated by women.

THE SUNDANCE 2022 SCORECARD

Nikyatu Jusu won Grand Jury Prize and Jamie Dack won Directing, Screenwriting and Editing in US Competition, among other top awards won by women this year.

Jesus what a fucking prick.

Sam Elliott Blasts ‘Piece of Sh*t’ ‘Power of the Dog’: What Does Campion ‘Know About the American West’?

“That’s what all these fucking cowboys in that movie look like,” Elliott said. “They’re all running around in chaps and no shirts. There’s all these allusions to homosexuality throughout the fucking movie.”

“I think that’s what the movie’s about,” Maron said of the film, in which it’s more than heavily implied that Benedict Cumberbatch’s rancher Phil Burbank is a repressed gay man.

“What the fuck does this woman — she’s a brilliant director by the way, I love her work, previous work — but what the fuck does this woman from down there, New Zealand, know about the American west? And why in the fuck does she shoot this movie in New Zealand and call it Montana and say, ‘This is the way it was.’ That fucking rubbed me the wrong way, pal,”

Since we don't have a thread for this film here (as it's usually the case with most major movies directed by women) I had to post it here.

I respect his opinion. He has seen cowboys IRL, haven't. I am open to possibility that maybe people criticising him over this are wrong.

blackColumn wrote:
March 1st, 2022, 2:17 pm
I respect his opinion. He has seen cowboys IRL, haven't. I am open to possibility that maybe people criticising him over this are wrong.
I am open to the possibility that he's plagued by a severe case of toxic masculinity and the film just hit way too close to home for him.

blackColumn wrote:
March 1st, 2022, 2:17 pm
Yeah, but this isn't a documentary, right? And it's not like feature films in general, ever since film was invented, weren't just artistic distortions and interpretations of different aspects of life and the world, so... I mean he can definitely say whatever he want, I guess. But why couldn't anyone make a film about the American West? I think many people already have... also, Americans are making films about foreign countries and cultures all the time anyway with the least respect to actual cultural truths and facts :D So I guess Elliot took it personal, which is fine by me. Still, that's film (and arts) for you.

Lol love Sam. I agree with him on this one. Movie was pretty shite in my opinion.

Confused.jpg.gif.pdf.pngetc.etc.etc.