Let's talk about...[Insert film/person]

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:19 am
radewart wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 12:37 am
It's underrated in Kubrick's filmography. I personally like it better than Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, and Clockwork Orange. Not as much as The Shining and 2001.
What about Eyes Wide Shut?
Honestly, I'd put Eyes Wide Shut last in Kubrick's filmography. I know some consider it a masterpiece, but I just like it. I feel it should of went deeper. For a film that was marketed about the underbelly of sexuality, there's barely any sex in it. Also, Kidman's character is barely in most of the movie, which bothers me.

Kubrick's filmography ranked:
The Shining
Barry Lyndon
Clockwork Orange
Paths of Glory
Dr. Strangelove
Lolita
Full Metal Jacket
The Killing
Spartacus
Eyes Wide Shut
Last edited by radewart on June 15th, 2020, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacon wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 10:21 pm
What's everyone's thoughts on Barry Lyndon?
I love it. Haven't seen it in quite some years now but I'll definitely revisit, like with every film of Kubrick lol

Have you seen all his films?

The fact that they essentially used a space lens to shoot an impressionistic period movie never cases to amaze me. The best way I could describe it is like watching a moving painting that is also a distant memory, vividly transported on screen.

Nomis wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:37 am
Bacon wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 10:21 pm
What's everyone's thoughts on Barry Lyndon?
I love it. Haven't seen it in quite some years now but I'll definitely revisit, like with every film of Kubrick lol

Have you seen all his films?
I haven't seen Fear/Desire, Killing, Lolita, Spartacus, or Eyes Wide Shut. Ive seen everything else. I was just surprised by how much I loved almost everything about Barry Lyndon. I might actually rank it 4th in his filmography so far.

Well keep in mind that Spartacus was not 'fully' his own. He took over directing. Still a good film though.

Please watch his other films too. They're incredible.

Nomis wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:38 am
Well keep in mind that Spartacus was not 'fully' his own. He took over directing. Still a good film though.

Please watch his other films too. They're incredible.
This is extremely important. Even though he had a strong sense of autorship with Paths of Glory (jaw dropping war movie), and Dr. Strangelove, The Killing and Lolita especially - 2001 is the moment where he, in my opinion, jumps a level and continues rising as a true auteur. And god I hate that word since it's basically just French for author. But in this day and age, being a director and being an author isn't sadly always the same thing, so back than you had Stanley Kubrick who did most things on his works, starting from poster design and whatnot. A true author of his works.

It's almost too easy to like his colored pictures... but seeing his other works as well puts everything into perspective. He was, like any other great director, constantly evolving.

radewart wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:43 am
Honestly, I'd put Eyes Wide Shut last in Kubrick's filmography. I know some consider it a masterpiece, but I just like it. I feel it should of went deeper. For a film that was marketed about the underbelly of sexuality, there's barely any sex in it. Also, Kidman's character is barely in most of the movie, which bothers me.

Kubrick's filmography ranked:
The Shining
Barry Lyndon
Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Lolita
Full Metal Jacket
The Killing
Spartacus
Eyes Wide Shut
Eyes Wide Shut last?? :wtf:

I didn't really love Lolita. I think that might be last for me.

anybody seen that talk between Jada and Will? cus dam

Nomis wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 10:46 am
anybody seen that talk between Jada and Will? cus dam
Ben Affleck has been replaced.

Double D you back?! :gonf: