The Netflix Club

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

I'm near finishing the first season of Farscape ('99-'03, '04), and it's been successful at filling that fantasy/Sci-Fi void left in the wake of binge watching Doctor Who, Buffy/Angel, and nu-Battlestar Galactica. The show's essentially a brew of most classic science fiction, borrowing from Star Trek the most, but it's really great fun and features some the best puppet work/craftsmanship I've seen on TV (from lil' Henson, no less). It's most easily described as a Buffy/BSG mix, though. Similar Battlestar in content and genre, and Buffy in style/flavor. I recommend it to fans of this ilk.

One note, though, Netflix has the episodes organized out of order for much of the first and second seasons (haven't verified three/four), so follow Wikipedia's episode listing if you do decided to watch the show. The show's conclusion, 'The Peacekeeper Wars', isn't streaming either.

Vader182 wrote:I'm going to give farscape a go soon at Keegan's request, but I admittedly don't have high hopes. Anyway, I'm supposed to post these here. I run a bi-monthly article called netflix picks. here it is:

http://themetaplex.com/netflix-picks/20 ... lix-part-6

p.s.

if anybody'd pimp me up on reddit, I'd appreciate it. The subreddit for netflix has grown, and you get buried so fast.

http://www.reddit.com/r/NetflixBestOf/c ... n_netflix/
-Vader
If you ever need another writer to do slightly satirical movie reviews with homoerotic innuendo, please let me know.

Crazy Eight wrote:I'm near finishing the first season of Farscape ('99-'03, '04), and it's been successful at filling that fantasy/Sci-Fi void left in the wake of binge watching Doctor Who, Buffy/Angel, and nu-Battlestar Galactica. The show's essentially a brew of most classic science fiction, borrowing from Star Trek the most, but it's really great fun and features some the best puppet work/craftsmanship I've seen on TV (from lil' Henson, no less). It's most easily described as a Buffy/BSG mix, though. Similar Battlestar in content and genre, and Buffy in style/flavor. I recommend it to fans of this ilk.

One note, though, Netflix has the episodes organized out of order for much of the first and second seasons (haven't verified three/four), so follow Wikipedia's episode listing if you do decided to watch the show. The show's conclusion, 'The Peacekeeper Wars', isn't streaming either.
You need to watch Next Generation man.

Peace wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:I'm near finishing the first season of Farscape ('99-'03, '04), and it's been successful at filling that fantasy/Sci-Fi void left in the wake of binge watching Doctor Who, Buffy/Angel, and nu-Battlestar Galactica. The show's essentially a brew of most classic science fiction, borrowing from Star Trek the most, but it's really great fun and features some the best puppet work/craftsmanship I've seen on TV (from lil' Henson, no less). It's most easily described as a Buffy/BSG mix, though. Similar Battlestar in content and genre, and Buffy in style/flavor. I recommend it to fans of this ilk.

You need to watch Next Generation man.
I think I might jump into it after Farscape. I loathe the original series, but I hear NextGen is the prime of Star Trek's TV run. The only thing I've seen from it is Nemesis

That's definitely not the best the show had to offer. The only legit Next Gen movie was First Contact.

Like most shows it takes a season or two to really start to click, but once it does it's pretty great. The characters are very well written and portrayed. It shits all over the original IMO.

From what I've heard it's mainly because Australia has some draconian, ass-backwards policies on Internet usage.