The Netflix Club

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So Fincher has a 4 year deal with Netflix

And he's said what he feels about not really having a 'body of work' whilst being so many decades in the film business (I mean he made 11 films, 10 of which fully his own)

I'm so in for Fincher to ramp it up

Give it to me Zaddy

I also lowkey reallyy hope he still gets to make 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, it certainly would be something different than what he's done before (as Mank is too)

Also still finchers crossed for him to make The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sequels omgg plsss I love those two sequel books so much omg

"Academy award nominee Ralph Fiennes". Remembering he still hasn't got an oscar...
Looks nice, and seeing Mulligan and Fiennes together should be fun, but not giving the name of the director in the trailer always feels somehow worrying to me.

that trailer contained every type of camera angle/composition/movement which lends itself to the director not having a clear vision which lends itself to the film not being good

Most Viewed Shows of 2020

1. Money Heist season 4 (65m)
2. Tiger King (64m)
3. The Queen’s Gambit (62m)
4. Too Hot to Handle (51m)
5. Ratched (48m)
6. The Umbrella Academy season 2 (43m)
7. Never Have I Ever (40m)
8. Space Force (40m)
9. Lucifer season 5, part 1 (38m)
10. The Floor is Lava (37m)
11. Love is Blind (30m)
12. Ozark season 3 (29m)
13. The Last Dance (23.8m)

i dont know what over half of those are and i am very okay with that

Thank god for Mank and Queen's Gambit, otherwise I'd cancel my subscription.

And the Crown?

I discovered Community on Netflix this year, and that's enough to justify a subscription imo. I also watched Love, which was really good.
And in France, Netflix is streaming a lot of "old" movies: Truffaut, Godard, Demy, De Broca, Chaplin, also all Ghibli and some Lynch...
I watched Netflix quite a lot (like four times season 2 and 3 of Community), but I also have no idea what these most watched shows are.

Sorry, The Crown as well, of course!

am i the only one who thought Queen’s Gambit was merely good?

like, it makes chess fun (chess has always been fun), but the drama itself is pretty average - and sometimes downright goofy - i’m 99% sure netflix expectations are either super low, or people just didn’t think they’d enjoy a chess show. i feel crazy all my friends are obsessed with this lol

(i really like it! just thought it’s been crazy overhyped - anya taylor-joy is great)

Michaelf2225 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:57 am
am i the only one who thought Queen’s Gambit was merely good?

like, it makes chess fun (chess has always been fun), but the drama itself is pretty average - and sometimes downright goofy - i’m 99% sure netflix expectations are either super low, or people just didn’t think they’d enjoy a chess show. i feel crazy all my friends are obsessed with this lol

(i really like it! just thought it’s been crazy overhyped - anya taylor-joy is great)
yeah

i will never not fall for the 60s aesthetic, and anya taylor joy IS remarkable, and chess is fucking cool, and i DID like it, but i also don’t feel like it knocked my socks off as hard as it did for others

i ALSO feel like the very ending of the show either fails on telling whatever it meant to tell, or it straight up sends a very conflicting message to audiences about beth’s emotional journey. but since not a whole lot of people are talking about it, maybe i’m wrong
what i mean is that i get that finally accepting help from those around her is a big deal in beth’s growth, and ngl the chess dudes phoning her while she’s in moscow was very nice in that sickly sweet “awww friendship” sort of way, but like with her addiction issues, i just found the whole thing to be really rushed and it felt unearned in a way. she’s shown desperately struggling, seemingly at her rock bottom, then she ups and cleans up before the tournament with seemingly zero withdrawals or other issues present (idk i saw it over a month ago lol). like... that’s just not how addiction works, period

Beth is someone who almost entirely defines herself by her involvement in chess, and she clearly has an incredibly unhealthy relationship with a lot of things in her life, same chess included. For someone so terribly obsessed with winning, to the point of actively acting destructively for a portion of the show, it seems hella weird that the show would allow her to win in Moscow, as if validating all of that behavior and mindset. Like they’re telling us “wink wink so yeah she’s very troubled and she almost got herself killed, but she won!!! and she’s maybe not so obsessed anymore - all it took for her was a final win”

idk