Pan (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Joe Wright, the director of Oscar-winning films Atonement and Anna Karenina, is currently in negotiations to helm Warner Bros. Peter Pan origin picture, Pan. This particular iteration of the J.M. Barrie creation is based on a take scripted by Jason Fuchs (Ice Age: Continental Drift). As Deadline reports, the tale centers on “an orphan [who] is taken to the magical world of Neverland, where he becomes the savoir [sic] of the natives and leads a rebellion against the evil pirates.” Best known for his period work, Wright also has a worthy actioner under his belt in the 2011 film, Hanna. Both strengths make him a great choice for this origin story project, as Peter Pan, Or the Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up was an action adventure tale originally taking place in the early 1900s. (Who wants to put money on Saoirse Ronan and Keira Knightley for one or both of the female leads?)

I love Wright, but I'll only watch this if it's more like Hanna than Atonement, tonally speaking.

I really would've preferred to see Wright handling that Little Mermaid project but still I will be totally sold on anything that bears his name as the director‚ even if it would be the next chapter of Captain America films.£

Master Virgo wrote:I really would've preferred to see Wright handling that Little Mermaid project but still I will be totally sold on anything that bears his name as the director‚ even if it would be the next chapter of Captain America films.£
Indeed, how many Pans do we have anyways...

Cilogy wrote:I love Wright, but I'll only watch this if it's more like Hanna than Atonement, tonally speaking.
Lol how about neither? I think those two movies ^ prove that he has multiple "tones" at his disposal. Good or bad, we will get something new from him.

Now if you're talking style, Im sure there will be techniques and pacing/editing that will be reminiscent of his previous films. But the tone - for this type of project - will be largely dictated by the material.

Joeyjojo72 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:I love Wright, but I'll only watch this if it's more like Hanna than Atonement, tonally speaking.
Lol how about neither? I think those two movies ^ prove that he has multiple "tones" at his disposal. Good or bad, we will get something new from him.

Now if you're talking style, Im sure there will be techniques and pacing/editing that will be reminiscent of his previous films. But the tone - for this type of project - will be largely dictated by the material.
We have a shit load of Peter Pan adaptations as it is, I'd be interested in something darker.

Maybe Wendy moonlights as a stripper, maybe Captain Hook is a child-molester? Image

The movie, as described, sounds fantastical ie expensive. And since its a kind of "Pan Begins", WB is likely viewing this as the beginning of a franchise. They need kids of all ages to see this thing so I doubt it will be all that dark. (Not that im against a "dark" take on PP. Why not?)

The title sucks.