Attack on Titan

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:I've been spoiled by Miyazaki, I think.
Watch Kill La Kill.

m4st4 wrote:
Watch Kill La Kill.
I saw that earlier on Netflix, I'll check it out.

m4st4 wrote:
Watch Kill La Kill.
I've seen it. I think it's better than AoT which were both the biggest animes of the season. Really misunderstood though. In anime there's a thing called 'fan service' and Kill La Kill is chock full of it but it's more of a parody of the idea of fan service (if you choose to see it that way). All I'm saying is it's best not to watch it with a closed mind. The second half is a bit off but I'd definitely recommend it over AoT. I'm a HUGE Gainax fan (evangelion, TTGL, FLCL) and the creators are pretty much the Gainax guys.

I personally only withstand the fan-service or nonsense anime when it's in some form of satire. FLCL and Panty & Stocking would be my top recommendations. Miyazaki once made a statement saying how wrong mainstream/fan service anime is so yeah, you should be spoiled.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... l-of-Otaku

Character posters from next year's live action film:
Eren
Armin
Mikasa
Jean
Sasha
Hange

Ooh lala. I love me some Japanese live action.
Gonna watch anime soon.

I've heard a few people unhappy that Kiko is playing Mikasa. As soon as I heard she was involved in this, i guessed she would be playing her. Her face is plastered all over Tokyo so I'm sure some are just annoyed at seeing her, but I've been crushing over that girl for months now so more Kiko is good for me

This is probably going to sound like the thoughts of an awful person but... Is it bad that I don't like that all the characters are portrayed as Asian? Don't get me wrong, if the product's good, I don't don't care who's on the screen, but I don't like "race-bending" very much - Whatever that particular race is. I didn't like it in The Last Airbender (an American production of an American cartoon, though with Asian-inspired characters), I don't like it here (a Japanese production of a Japanese manga, though with European-inspired characters, save Mikasa).

didich wrote:This is probably going to sound like the thoughts of an awful person but... Is it bad that I don't like that all the characters are portrayed as Asian? Don't get me wrong, if the product's good, I don't don't care who's on the screen, but I don't like "race-bending" very much - Whatever that particular race is. I didn't like it in The Last Airbender (an American production of an American cartoon, though with Asian-inspired characters), I don't like it here (a Japanese production of a Japanese manga, though with European-inspired characters, save Mikasa).
I don't know if it's bad that you think that, but it is weird.

I imagine it would be difficult to find Japanese-speaking European actors who are well-known enough play these parts.

Cilogy wrote:
didich wrote:This is probably going to sound like the thoughts of an awful person but... Is it bad that I don't like that all the characters are portrayed as Asian? Don't get me wrong, if the product's good, I don't don't care who's on the screen, but I don't like "race-bending" very much - Whatever that particular race is. I didn't like it in The Last Airbender (an American production of an American cartoon, though with Asian-inspired characters), I don't like it here (a Japanese production of a Japanese manga, though with European-inspired characters, save Mikasa).
I don't know if it's bad that you think that, but it is weird.

I imagine it would be difficult to find Japanese-speaking European actors who are well-known enough play these parts.
Sure but what I mean is that, had the reverse situation taken place, people would be (rightfully, in my opinion) said something about it, while in this case it's just glossed out.

Is it bad that I don't like that all the characters are portrayed as Asian
Not bad but I have no idea why you care. Especially in this case. After all... it's a god damn anime... I'd expect pretty much 100% asian casting. Dunno about you guys but I don't wanna see Jayden Smith in here.