Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Listen to Vader. She's by far the weakest of the main cast. I dont think it has to do with being miscast, as she's a great actress. Rather, it's the development of the character.

Vader182 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:How was Waterston?
Don't listen to Nomis lol. Reviews are right, she's incredibly bland, spends most of the movie standing around doing pretty much nothing, and is presented sort of as a nag and that feeling doesn't go away. Miscast role and a badly written one at that. Of the four leads she's the weakest link, which is pretty much what reviews agree on.

-Vader
Nomis wrote:Don't listen to Vader182 lol
Skyab23 wrote:Listen to Vader.

Hmm... we'll see. Thanks guys! :thumbup:

I still don't know how....
they're going to make 4 more movies out of this. How is Newt going to fit into this broader plot of Grindelwald attempting to start a war? He already felt like he was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time in the 1st movie, I can't imagine how they're going to include him and his beasts as the central part of the plot for 4 additional films.

Movie was genuinely adorkable, wish it had even more "I am Groot"-factor. Niffler is the star of the film. Tina is a problem. I don't think she's bland, she's just miscast. The drama of her face just doesn't belong here but to a Holocaust movie. Speaking of that, Credence and everyone close around him, including the Shaws, just lacked in characterization. Especially Credence, who was mistreated both within the plot and as a character in general, reduced-to-a-plot-device bad.

But I didn't feel there's "too much going on" and I didn't need to know Newt's actual motivation or backstory. His tears told me enough for now. Just wish Kowalski had more part in all of it once shit started blowin up in the last 30 minutes. I really liked most characters though.

Again though, Niffler should inherit the earth. Yeah, yeah, I know he's basically the squirrel from Ice Age but he stole every scene.

ya'll are really killing my buzz for this film

After two years WB has finally made a blockbuster that is successful in all fronts.£

Skyab23 wrote:I still don't know how....
they're going to make 4 more movies out of this. How is Newt going to fit into this broader plot of Grindelwald attempting to start a war? He already felt like he was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time in the 1st movie, I can't imagine how they're going to include him and his beasts as the central part of the plot for 4 additional films.
As I said,
Grindelwald will probably use some fantastical beasts for wreaking havoc in the wizarding world. Bring in Newt. Other than that they can also develop Jacob/Queenie Newt/Tina/Lestrange, Grindelwald/Dumbledore, Credence, magical places in England, Paris perhaps other cities as well etc.
It's a good thing Rowling already knows where the story is heading, so that she can work toward that.

Don't quite get the Waterstone complaints

We Need to Talk About Creedence, I guess

Rowling isn't quite yet a screenwriter but she's closer to it by the end than she is in the beginning. Motivation is important and its absence makes the first half of the film a drag. Having all the characters coincidentally be in the same spot is bad medicine even if it kinda half-heartedly explains it later.

can't believe this is the same cinematographer as A River Runs Through It :cry: Then again I can because Ritchie's Sherlock things look hideous

ArmandFancypants wrote:Don't quite get the Waterstone complaints

Rowling isn't quite yet a screenwriter but she's closer to it by the end than she is in the beginning. Motivation is important and its absence makes the first half of the film a drag. Having all the characters coincidentally be in the same spot is bad medicine even if it kinda half-heartedly explains it later.

can't believe this is the same cinematographer as A River Runs Through It :cry: Then again I can because Ritchie's Sherlock things look hideous
Care to rate, mate?£

ArmandFancypants wrote:Don't quite get the Waterstone complaints

Good post.

It's yet to be confirmed but I think that Rousselot will also shoot the sequel. Must say the cinematography was better in the finished film than in the trailers tho.