Westworld (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ChrisTilford wrote:James Marsden sounds off a bit on the pilot.
What attracted you to the HBO series Westworld, and what did Jonah Nolan say that sold you on it?

MARSDEN: Well, I was one of the last people to be cast in that, and I looked at these crazy marquee names involved. I’ll be honest with you, I read the script and that’s what made me fired up, and I really wanted to pursue it. So, I was thrilled that he was interested in me for that role. It’s just a high-caliber, incredible group of people, all around, from the actors to the DP to Jonah and Lisa [Joy]. It’s something really special. I haven’t seen it, but I’ve seen four minutes of footage cut together into the sizzle real, and it’s pretty special. I hope we get to continue making it. Right now, it’s just a pilot. But, it was a pretty special experience. Jonah and I had a long 30- or 40-minute Skype while I was shooting this movie, actually, and he told me his ideas about what he wanted to do with this and where he wanted to take Michael Crichton’s concept. It sounded like a world that I wanted to be in.

Read more at http://collider.com/james-marsden-the-b ... hYfBY3H.99
Cool, thanks Chris.

Plepler made other points during his presentation, although they were overshadowed by the OTT news. Among them:

“Westworld,” the J.J. Abrams-produced remake of cult-fave 1973 movie, will be ordered to series for next year. Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy penned the script for the Warner Bros. TV production. Plepler stressed the new importance placed on HBO working with sibling WBTV division on programming.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/hbo-to- ... 201330592/
So confirmed for full series?

riddick-danish wrote:
Plepler made other points during his presentation, although they were overshadowed by the OTT news. Among them:

“Westworld,” the J.J. Abrams-produced remake of cult-fave 1973 movie, will be ordered to series for next year. Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy penned the script for the Warner Bros. TV production. Plepler stressed the new importance placed on HBO working with sibling WBTV division on programming.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/hbo-to- ... 201330592/
So confirmed for full series?
I hope so.

Coming 2015
It's official: HBO is moving forward with its Westworld adaptation.

The drama, based on Michael Crichton's 1973 film and written by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, stars Anthony Hopkins in his first series-regular role as an inventor who runs an adult amusement park populated by lifelike robots. HBO made the announcement Monday via Twitter, with the series coming in 2015.
Read more How HBO's 'Westworld' Became TV's Hottest Project

The drama hails from J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk's Warner Bros. Television-based Bad Robot Productions, with the duo exec producing alongside Jerry Weintraub,Nolan (who directed the pilot)and Joy. Kathy Lingg will co-EP and Athena Wickham is a producer on the drama. David Coatsworth is set as a co-EP and line producer, with Susie Ekins set as a co-producer. Westworld hails from Bad Robot, Jerry Weintraub Productions and Kilter Films.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the show's androids — played by castmembers including James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton — can be killed off and return with completely different personas, allowing actors to play many characters. That creative device, one top talent agent said, helped HBO attract a premier cast (which also includes Ed Harris, Miranda Otto and Jeffrey Wright). And unlike the actors on such anthology series as FX's American Horror Story and HBO's own True Detective, which reboot themselves every season, the cast of Westworld is signing multiyear deals.
"This is built as a series and, in terms of storytelling, I think the rules are definitely being broken," HBO programming president Michael Lombardo told THRin August of the sci-fi Western from executive producers J.J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub and Bryan Burk. "The promise of the show, in terms of where it's going, is exciting to actors, and they want to be a part of this."

Westworld becomes HBO's second drama from Warner Bros. Television, joining Damon Lindelof's adaptation ofThe Leftovers (which has already been renewed). The cabler recently passed over Ryan Murphy's sexuality drama pilot Open, from 20th Century Fox Television.
Westworld is HBO's first project with Bad Robot, which also produces CBS' Person of Interest and Hulu's upcoming event series 11/22/63. The banner recently saw the demise of Revolution, Almost Human and Believe. Abrams' credits include Fringe, Alcatraz and Lost. He's currently prepping Star Wars: Episode VII as well as the next installments in the Mission: Impossible and Star Trek franchises. Abrams' Bad Robot is also prepping a miniseries based on Rod Serling's (The Twilight Zone) final and unproduced screenplay, The Stops Along the Way. A network is not yet attached.
For HBO, Westworld comes as the network recently said farewell to True Blood, and is wrapping the final seasons of Emmy darling Boardwalk Empire and Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom. Westworld joins an HBO drama roster that also includes Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, True Detective and Utopia.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... k_20141117

Very happy for Jonah. Not only he finally saw Interstellar come to life but also he's doing whatever he wants on TV.

I need the damn trailer.

Go Jonah!